Magnitude of torque on a current loop

In summary, the author is trying to find the torque required to hold a loop in a particular position, and for each of three different magnetic fields.
ovoleg
I've given this one a good effort and I cannot seem to solve it, been trying for a couple days on my own now...Anyone able to lend a hand?

I was using t=uxB(u cross B) to find the torque and then take the negative of it to find the torque that is to hold it?

vector u = I(vector A), and for this I am getting vector(A)=.0692i+.08j+.0346k
vector(B)=.58i+0j+0k
When I do the matrices for the cross(x) I get 0i+.321088j+.7424k

The only part of this that is right is the i component which is zero...

I'll be in your debt forever if you could help with a) or c)

Thanks!
------------------
The rectangular loop in Fig is pivoted about the y-axis and carries a current of 16.0 A in the direction indicated.((It's 16A, don't mind the picture saying 15A, this is the diagram below, click link))
38333?db=v4net.jpg
a) If the loop is in a uniform magnetic field with magnitude 0.580 T in the +x-direction, find the magnitude and direction of the torque required to hold the loop in the position shown.
=

b) Repeat part (a) for the case in which the field is in the z-direction.
=

c) For each of the above magnetic fields, what torque would be required if the loop were pivoted about an axis through its center, parallel to the y-axis?
a =
b =

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \tau = NIAB sin \Theta [/tex]

N = number of loops
I = current
A = area of loop
B = magnetic field
theta = angle between loop and field

andrewchang said:
[tex] \tau = NIAB sin \Theta [/tex]

N = number of loops
I = current
A = area of loop
B = magnetic field
theta = angle between loop and field

I love you! why doesn't my book have this?? :*(.

Thanks alot!

well it is sinQ if we take the angle of rotatation in the geomtrical center of the loop...

just for information..heh

1. What is torque on a current loop?

Torque on a current loop is the rotational force experienced by the loop when it is placed in a magnetic field and a current is passed through it.

2. How is torque on a current loop calculated?

The magnitude of torque on a current loop is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the current passing through the loop and the area of the loop, then taking the sine of the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

3. What is the direction of torque on a current loop?

The direction of torque on a current loop is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current, the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm of the hand indicates the direction of the torque.

4. How does the magnitude of torque on a current loop vary with the angle between the magnetic field and the loop?

The magnitude of torque on a current loop is directly proportional to the sine of the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop. This means that as the angle increases, the torque also increases, reaching its maximum when the angle is 90 degrees.

5. What factors affect the magnitude of torque on a current loop?

The magnitude of torque on a current loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current passing through the loop, and the area of the loop. It is also influenced by the angle between the magnetic field and the loop, as well as the shape and orientation of the loop.