Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Magnitude of torque on a current loop

1. Apr 30, 2006 #1
    I've given this one a good effort and I cannot seem to solve it, been trying for a couple days on my own now...Anyone able to lend a hand?

I was using t=uxB(u cross B) to find the torque and then take the negative of it to find the torque that is to hold it?

vector u = I(vector A), and for this I am getting vector(A)=.0692i+.08j+.0346k
    vector(B)=.58i+0j+0k
    When I do the matrices for the cross(x) I get 0i+.321088j+.7424k

The only part of this that is right is the i component which is zero...

I'll be in your debt forever if you could help with a) or c)

Thanks!!!!
    ------------------
    The rectangular loop in Fig is pivoted about the y-axis and carries a current of 16.0 A in the direction indicated.((It's 16A, don't mind the picture saying 15A, this is the diagram below, click link))
    38333?db=v4net.jpg

a) If the loop is in a uniform magnetic field with magnitude 0.580 T in the +x-direction, find the magnitude and direction of the torque required to hold the loop in the position shown.
    =

b) Repeat part (a) for the case in which the field is in the z-direction.
    =

c) For each of the above magnetic fields, what torque would be required if the loop were pivoted about an axis through its center, parallel to the y-axis?
    a =
    b =

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2
    [tex] \tau = NIAB sin \Theta [/tex]

N = number of loops
    I = current
    A = area of loop
    B = magnetic field
    theta = angle between loop and field

4. Apr 30, 2006 #3
    I love you! why doesn't my book have this?? :*(.

Thanks alot!

5. Oct 1, 2007 #4
    well it is sinQ if we take the angle of rotatation in the geomtrical center of the loop......

just for information..heh

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook