1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Major in biology with say psychology

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    yes this is a physics forums but I been coming here for a while (not really posting alot but meh :P reading) and i notice that there is a biolog section andI'm REALLY interested in biology and i'm applying to university soon... i've noticed that for first year you take general courses for the sciences and then second year you move into particular fields.

i'm just wondering if you guys know of jobs that exist with a major in biology with say psychology or chemistry minor

cause i remember nearly all my highschool science teachers explaining how they went into sciences got their masters and when they got out of school they couldn't really find a job that interested them so they came to teaching lol.

i'm from toronto if that makes any difference... i'm just wondering what fields of work would be available though

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Biology

Sorry! explained:
    Sure. Before giving the answers, be aware that the Physics and Math courses are still great to study along the way. Now, consider microbiology technician, food lab technician, medical or diagnostic products development, maybe some technical work in public health. Maybe quality control analyst for a foods company.

4. Jan 21, 2009 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

As with any science, the undergraduate education can prepare you for graduate study which is necessary if you want to get into research. Most of the experimental oncology scientists I know, for example, come from a biology or biochemistry background.

5. Jan 21, 2009 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

Biologists can also get jobs in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.

6. Jan 21, 2009 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also think of biostatistics and bioinformatics, two growing fields.

7. Jan 22, 2009 #6

thanks guys :D all these sound really interesting i remember reading something about the neurosciences being a growing field anyone know if its true still? (and if it will continue to grow)

bioinformatics sounds interesting never heard of it even... lol :P gonna go look that bad boy up

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?