1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Make a matrix defective if possible

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 1 & 0\\
    1 & 1 & 0\\
    0 & 0 & \alpha
    \end{bmatrix}[/tex] and [itex]det(A-\lambda I)=\lambda(\alpha-\lambda)(\lambda-2)=0[/itex]

Therefore, [itex]\lambda_1=0[/itex], [itex]\lambda_2=\alpha[/itex], and [itex]\lambda_3=2[/itex].

In order to make this matrix defective, I need to make the left two column vectors dependent[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    1-\alpha & 1 & 0\\
    1 & 1-\alpha & 0\\
    0 & 0 & 0
    \end{bmatrix}[/tex].

Is there an easy way to find or determine if this can be done for a given matrix?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2
    I am thinking the only way this will work if alpha=0 or 2? Then I need to check those values to see if the eigenspace has only one eigenvector. However, is that necessarily true that it will only work at those values or is it possible that another value besides 0 or 2 will work?

4. Apr 24, 2010 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

well to be defective it must have an eigenvalue with >1 algebraic multiplicity, but looking at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defective_matrix
    says normal matricies are not defective, and your matrix is real & symmetric as far as I can tell...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  5. Apr 24, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a matrix has an eigenvalue, then it has at least one eigenvector corresponding to that eigenvalue. So, yes, the only way it can be defective is if alpha=0 or alpha=2.

6. Apr 24, 2010 #5

Thanks

7. Apr 25, 2010 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Careful, what Dick said was that the matrix can be defective if [itex]\alpha=0[/itex] or [itex]\alpha=2[/itex]...In order to determine if it actually is defective for either of those two values, you need to check whether or not they yield an incomplete basis of eigenvectors.

8. Apr 25, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. I should have emphasized the 'CAN'. In fact, for those two values, if you think about lanedance's general observation, you don't actually have to compute the eigenvectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook