Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Make science easier, examiners are told

1. Aug 29, 2007 #1
    Don't you just love this?

Wow, I hope the American Dept of Education doesn't hear about this. I'd hate to be stuck with people who otherwise wouldn't be able to make it in my physics classes.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But everyone has to study science, surely? Why would you be in a class with someone who "wouldn't make it into your class"?

I think the GCSE system is pretty good. There are different tiers for different levels of students, which means that the higher tier questions are aimed at people who are expected to do well. There could be some harder questions thrown in at the end, I agree, but all in all I reckon it's fine. It should also be noted that the example paper given in that article is an easy part of a paper (multi-guess) from an (arguably) easier exam board-- Edexcel. Also, I have to admit I dislike multiple choice questions immensly-- students should be made to show working and solutions.

4. Aug 29, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If the work hard at it!

Where do people come off thinking that education has to be easy?! Life isn't easy - it requires effort/work, and sometimes hard work.

5. Aug 29, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as this encourages more students to study science without artificially inflating grades (which, it seems it does) I'd be okay with it. But that example paper is terrible!! It's one thing to dumb down the science, but another thing entirely, if the limiting case of dumbed down science becomes nonsense. Look at question 18, for instance. D is supposed to be the correct answer, when in fact, none of the given options is correct. These questions are designed to test your ability to retain some basic knowledge of science, but do not attempt at all to test your ability to think (I only went through the first 20-25 questions).

6. Aug 29, 2007 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like number 3. It reminds me of the 'Find x. Here it is!' joke.

7. Aug 29, 2007 #6
    I'm a little confused. What exactly is the GCSE?

8. Aug 29, 2007 #7
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCSE

The Brits are still ahead of the Americans. I think Americans have become spoiled. The average student would probably prefer that they leave out some of those complicated laws of physics, and allow miss South Carolina to teach sex ed if she can find the classroom.

9. Aug 29, 2007 #8
    I lol'd at that question!

10. Aug 30, 2007 #9
    Well, I understand it's a test British teenagers have to take, but what does it mean, and what does it determine?

11. Aug 30, 2007 #10
    Question 3 is very poorly worded, and that entire test is horrible. I would be insulted if they handed me that test.

12. Aug 30, 2007 #11
    I personally feel exams should be made harder. This would make students work harder and/or those not scientifically minded not take the subject. Which are god things. When man first put people on the moon, maths was harder.

13. Aug 30, 2007 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a series of exams at 16 - used to be called O (ordinary) levels. In the UK you can then leave school at 16. Next step is A (advanced) level, taken at 18 and used as the entry requirement for university.

GCSE (geneal certificate secondary education?) were supposed to allow a wider range of marks to allow all students to have some result after leaving school. Under O level if you failed you had nothing to say you had ever finished school.

Unfortunately they then introduced league tables to show how schools were performing, so the whole thing degenerated into schools gaming the system, grade inflation, politics and spin. The victims of course being the kids.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?