Make ##x## the subject of the formula

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, this was a good one; just thought i would share...of course i know this forum has smart people who may probably come up with a different approach...it took me a few minutes to figure out ...:frown:and then alas! saw the magic...
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Make ##x## the subject of formula, given;

##\sqrt{\dfrac {x^2+15t-3}{x^2}}=5t##
Relevant Equations
Basic Maths
This was a good one; just thought i would share...of course i know this forum has smart people who may probably come up with a different approach...it took me a few minutes to figure out ...:frown:and then alas! saw the magic...

##x(5t+1)(5t-1)=15t-3##

##x=\dfrac{3}{5t+1}##
Bingo!

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: Make ##x## the subject of formula, given;

##\dfrac{\sqrt{x^2+15t-3}}{x^2}=5t##
Relevant Equations:: Basic Maths

This was a good one; just thought i would share...of course i know this forum has smart people who may probably come up with a different approach...it took me a few minutes to figure out ...:frown:and then alas! saw the magic...

##x(5t+1)(5t-1)=15t-3##

##x=\dfrac{3}{5t+1}##
Bingo!
Are you sure that’s correct? It’s always worth back-checking. For example,

Let ##t = 0##, then ##x = \dfrac 3{5t+1} = \dfrac 3{5*0+1} = 3##

##\dfrac {\sqrt{x^2+15t-3}}{x^2}
=\dfrac {\sqrt{3^2+15*0-3}}{3^2}
=\dfrac {\sqrt 6}{9}##

But ##5t=5*0 = 0##

Steve4Physics said:
Are you sure that’s correct? It’s always worth back-checking. For example,

Let ##t = 0##, then ##x = \dfrac 3{5t+1} = \dfrac 3{5*0+1} = 3##

##\dfrac {\sqrt{x^2+15t-3}}{x^2}
=\dfrac {\sqrt{3^2+15*0-3}}{3^2}
=\dfrac {\sqrt 6}{9}##

But ##5t=5*0 = 0##
I'll check this later man! Sorry I made an amendment on the problem...latex problem...

My working ought to be correct...sorry currently in a meeting...hence delay in responding...

Last edited:
chwala said:

##\dfrac{\sqrt{x^2+15t-3}}{x^2}=5t##

This is not the same as the equation you give in the problem statement. Does the square root apply to the whole fraction, or only the numerator?

Likes Steve4Physics
pasmith said:
This is not the same as the equation you give in the problem statement. Does the square root apply to the whole fraction, or only the numerator?
Amended :wink:.

Last edited:
chwala said:
I'll check this later man! Sorry I made an amendment on the problem...latex problem...

My working ought to be correct...sorry currently in a meeting...hence delay in responding...
Your working of the problem still appears to be incorrect.

The counter-example given by @Steve4Physics remains valid and shows that your solution is incorrect.

SammyS said:
Your working of the problem still appears to be far from correct.

The counter-example given by @Steve4Physics remains valid and shows that your solution is incorrect.
...I have seen the mistake...let me correct it later...should be square root on rhs...

chwala said:

##x^2(5t+1)(5t-1)=15t-3##

##x=\sqrt{\dfrac{3}{5t+1}}##
Bingo!

You're nearly there...

1) You are missing a ± sign.

2) It would be good practice to include a statement about the allowed values of t.

3) The word 'alas' is used when something has gone badly - not when it has gone well!

Likes chwala, malawi_glenn and SammyS
chwala said:

##x(5t+1)(5t-1)=15t-3##

##x=\dfrac{3}{5t+1}##
Yes, I am aware that you amended the last two lines of your solution in Post #8. (However, your post is done totally as a Quote of the OP.) You had also amended the original OP, as you mentioned in Posts #3 & #5.

The two last lines as you amended them:

##\displaystyle x^2(5t+1)(5t-1)=15t-3##​
##\displaystyle x=\sqrt{\dfrac{3}{5t+1}} ##​

Comments:

It would have been at least helpful if you had included a couple of steps showing what you did to get to those last two lines, rather than simply giving us "##\ \dots\ ##" . That would have made it obvious that that the Homework Statement was in error. Of course that would have made your solution less magical.

Similarly, but in my opinion even more importantly, you should have included some steps missing between those final two equations, as well as justification.

As I recall, you have been cautioned about cancelling a factor by division, when that factor contains a variable.

Likes topsquark, chwala and Steve4Physics
SammyS said:
Yes, I am aware that you amended the last two lines of your solution in Post #8. (However, your post is done totally as a Quote of the OP.) You had also amended the original OP, as you mentioned in Posts #3 & #5.

The two last lines as you amended them:

##\displaystyle x^2(5t+1)(5t-1)=15t-3##​
##\displaystyle x=\sqrt{\dfrac{3}{5t+1}} ##​

Comments:

It would have been at least helpful if you had included a couple of steps showing what you did to get to those last two lines, rather than simply giving us "##\ \dots\ ##" . That would have made it obvious that that the Homework Statement was in error. Of course that would have made your solution less magical.

Similarly, but in my opinion even more importantly, you should have included some steps missing between those final two equations, as well as justification.

As I recall, you have been cautioned about cancelling a factor by division, when that factor contains a variable.
Noted @SammyS ... let me re do it again; here we go##\sqrt{\dfrac {x^2+15t-3}{x^2}}=5t##

##\dfrac{x^2+15t-3}{x^2}=25t^2##

##x^2+15t-3=25x^2t^2##

##15t-3=25x^2t^2-x^2##

##15t-3=x^2(25t^2-1)##

...Actually, there was no need for me to have used ##a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b)## previously.

##x^2=\dfrac{15t-3}{25t^2-1}##

##x=±\sqrt{\dfrac{15t-3}{25t^2-1}}##

...i guess what i pick from you is the not to cancel variable bit...and also the plus & minus as indicated by @Steve4Physics ...thanks for that...

Steve4Physics said:
You're nearly there...

1) You are missing a ± sign.

2) It would be good practice to include a statement about the allowed values of t.

3) The word 'alas' is used when something has gone badly - not when it has gone well!
This question is from a singaporean paper...i believe for the early years (secondary)... the question is posted as it is on the paper. They did not ask the students to state the domain of the function for which the inverse function exists ( ##t## values as you indicate)... we know that the inverse function will only exist if we restrict the domain to i.e 1-1 relationship between the function and its inverse...

...to answer your question by looking at the two graphs, the inverse exists when the domain is restricted to ##x≥0##.

chwala said:
##15t-3=x^2(25t^2-1)##

...Actually, there was no need for me to have used ##a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b)## previously.

##x^2=\dfrac{15t-3}{25t^2-1}##

##x=±\sqrt{\dfrac{15t-3}{25t^2-1}}##

...i guess what i pick from you is the not to cancel variable bit...and also the plus & minus as indicated by @Steve4Physics ...thanks for that...
Thanks for taking us to ## \displaystyle 15t-3=x^2(25t^2-1)## .

Factoring the difference of squares is a great idea. After also factoring the LHS, that gets us to
## \displaystyle 3(5t-1)=x^2(5t-1)(5t+1)## .

You may divide both sides by ## \displaystyle (5t-1)## provided it's not zero, so we need to handle ##\displaystyle t=\dfrac{1}{5}## in some other way.

A better way to handle this in general, is to get zero on one side of an equivalent equation and then factor if you can. In this case we get the following.

## \displaystyle 0=x^2(5t-1)(5t+1) - 3(5t-1)##

## \displaystyle 0=(x^2(5t+1) - 3)(5t-1)##

So either ## \displaystyle x^2(5t+1) - 3 = 0 ## or ## \displaystyle 5t-1 = 0## .

Likes Steve4Physics and chwala
SammyS said:
So either ## \displaystyle x^2(5t+1) - 3 = 0 ## or ## \displaystyle 5t-1 = 0## .
If ## \displaystyle x^2(5t+1) - 3 = 0 ##, then you have the solution given in Post #11.

What to do with ## \displaystyle 5t-1 = 0## ?

Plugging ## \displaystyle t = \dfrac 1 5 ## into ##\displaystyle \sqrt{\dfrac {x^2+15t-3}{x^2}}=5t ## gives:

##\displaystyle \sqrt{\dfrac {x^2}{x^2}}=1 ##.

This gives you that ##x## may be any non-zero real number when ## \displaystyle t = \dfrac 1 5 ## .

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara, Steve4Physics and chwala
chwala said:
##x(5t+1)(5t-1)=15t-3##

Likes chwala
neilparker62 said:
Thanks...missed that on latex...

1. How do I make ##x## the subject of the formula?

To make ##x## the subject of a formula, you need to isolate ##x## on one side of the equation by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. This will involve rearranging the equation and performing inverse operations to cancel out any other terms or variables.

2. Can I make any variable the subject of a formula?

Yes, you can make any variable the subject of a formula as long as the equation is solvable and the variable you want to make the subject is present in the equation. However, some equations may be more complex and require more steps to make a specific variable the subject.

3. What is the purpose of making ##x## the subject of a formula?

The purpose of making ##x## the subject of a formula is to solve for the value of ##x## in an equation. This allows us to find the specific value of a variable that satisfies the given equation and can be used to solve real-world problems or make predictions in scientific experiments.

4. Are there any specific rules or steps to follow when making ##x## the subject of a formula?

Yes, there are some general rules and steps to follow when making ##x## the subject of a formula. These include isolating ##x## on one side of the equation, using inverse operations to cancel out other terms or variables, and simplifying the equation to its simplest form. It is also important to check your work and ensure that the solution makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Can I use a calculator to make ##x## the subject of a formula?

Yes, you can use a calculator to make ##x## the subject of a formula. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the underlying concepts and steps involved in making ##x## the subject. Using a calculator can help with tedious calculations, but it is still important to check your work and make sure the solution is correct.