Makeing a Flash Drive appear as a CD/DVD drive to a Bios?

In summary, the author is having some success with LAN booting, but is having more success with using a flash drive.
Pattonias
I have a unique problem in that I would like to test out an operating system on a PC (M1400 Tablet) that has no Hard disk. Before I had the tablet I had assumed I would be able to boot it up using a thumb drive to test out the Linux support for the stylus.

Anyway, the Bios doesn't expressly support booting from a flash drive, but I will support booting from a CD/DVD drive connected through the USB. I am wondering if anyone has had success making a flash drive appear as a CD/DVD drive. Long ago, I make a flash drive appear as a floppy drive in order to flash a bios (huge pain in the rear). I was wondering if anyone has done this and perhaps could point me in the right direction. So far, most people have been coming up with alternative solutions to the similar problem instead staying with the flash drive option.

I don't have an external DVD drive and would prefer to not have to buy one if at all possible. The external drive would be my last resort.

PS. The bios also supports wired LAN booting, but I found very little information about this option that didn't sound like it was way more trouble than it was worth. Perhaps if there was an application I could download that would make this a viable option I would explore it, but at the moment, I still going to explore using a flash drive.

Thank you,

Patt

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is this one stomping everyone?

I don't feel that I have been stomped by it, but I do feel that I have been stumped by it.

phinds said:
I don't feel that I have been stomped by it, but I do feel that I have been stumped by it.

Well, while I still have my computer problem, I guess I can take solace in my English problem being slightly improved.

Pengwuino said:
Ha! I can't really help you but in an amazing coincidence, I saw this article early this morning.

http://technabob.com/blog/2011/08/01/isostick-usb-drive/

Too bad it's not out yet I guess :-/

This is exactly what I need. If only I was a programmer. I'm sure an inexpensive program to modify a standard USB stick would be well received.

I'm having some success with the LAN booting option, but so far the possibility has been promising although I haven't been able to implement it with much success.

I'll keep reading in the meantime.

1. Can I use a flash drive to boot my computer like a CD/DVD?

Yes, it is possible to make a flash drive appear as a CD/DVD drive to the BIOS. This process is called creating a bootable USB drive, and it allows you to install an operating system or run diagnostic tools directly from the flash drive.

2. What is the benefit of making a flash drive appear as a CD/DVD drive to the BIOS?

The main benefit is convenience and flexibility. With a bootable USB drive, you no longer need to carry multiple CDs or DVDs for different software or operating systems. You can also easily update the files on the flash drive, unlike a CD or DVD which is a read-only media.

3. How do I make a flash drive appear as a CD/DVD drive to the BIOS?

To make a flash drive appear as a CD/DVD drive to the BIOS, you will need to use a special software or tool to create a bootable USB drive. Some popular tools include Rufus, UNetbootin, and WinToFlash. You will also need the ISO file of the operating system or software you want to install on the flash drive.

4. Can I use any type of flash drive to make it appear as a CD/DVD drive to the BIOS?

Not all flash drives can be made to appear as a CD/DVD drive to the BIOS. It depends on the manufacturer and the type of flash drive. Some newer flash drives come with a built-in feature for creating a bootable USB drive, while older ones may not have this capability. It is best to check with the manufacturer or do some research before attempting to make a bootable USB drive.

5. Is it possible to switch back to using the flash drive as a regular storage device after making it appear as a CD/DVD drive to the BIOS?

Yes, you can still use the flash drive as a regular storage device after making it appear as a CD/DVD drive to the BIOS. The bootable feature will not affect its regular functionality. However, it is recommended to use a separate flash drive for bootable purposes to avoid accidentally deleting important files or damaging the bootable setup.