Making a piecewise function continuous

So you have two equations in two variables, and you can solve for b and c.In summary, the conversation is about finding the values of b and c that make the function f continuous on the interval (-\infty,\infty). The first equation gives the limit at x = 0 as 2, while the second and third equations give conditions on b and c that agree with the limit at x = 0 and x = 2 respectively. By setting these equations equal to each other, we can solve for b and c and make the function continuous.
meaganjulie

Homework Statement

find the values of b and c that make the function f continuous on (-[tex]\infty[/tex],[tex]\infty[/tex])

f(x) = [tex]\frac{sin2x}{x}[/tex] if x< 0
3-3c+b(x+1) if 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x<2
5-cx+bx^2 if x[tex]\geq[/tex] 2

Homework Equations

lim as x [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] 0- of [tex]\frac{sin2x}{x}[/tex]
works out to be 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi meaganjulie! Welcome to PF! :wink:
meaganjulie said:
lim as x [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] 0- of [tex]\frac{sin2x}{x}[/tex]
works out to be 0

Nope :redface:

what makes you think that? :smile:

nevermind, that limit is actually 2. the limit for zero from the right also must equal 2, and the right and left limits at x=2 must also match.

thats all I've got.

Just figure out what c and b values make the first and second equal at x=0.

The other one follows a similar process.

i don't understand how to find the values for c and b because i don't understand how i can use the point x=0 because the first part of the function has no c or b values. i have to use the last to equations at x=2, but how do i know what that limit is?

Hi meaganjulie! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
meaganjulie said:
i don't understand how to find the values for c and b because i don't understand how i can use the point x=0 because the first part of the function has no c or b values. i have to use the last to equations at x=2, but how do i know what that limit is?

The first equation tells you that the limit at x = 0 must be 2.

The second equation tells you conditions on b and c which agree with that limit (at x = 0), and that gives you a formula (in b and c) for the limit at x = 2.

And the third equation tells you conditions on b and c which agree with that limit at x = 2.

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by different equations for different intervals or "pieces" of the input. This is typically used when the function has different behaviors or characteristics in different parts of its domain.

2. How can I make a piecewise function continuous?

To make a piecewise function continuous, you need to make sure that the value of the function at the point where the pieces meet is the same for both pieces. This can be achieved by finding the limit of the function at that point and adjusting the equations accordingly.

3. Why is it important to make a piecewise function continuous?

Making a piecewise function continuous is important because it ensures that the function is well-defined and does not have any "jumps" or discontinuities. This makes the function easier to work with and allows for more accurate mathematical analysis.

4. Can a piecewise function be continuous at more than one point?

Yes, a piecewise function can be continuous at multiple points. This typically occurs when there are more than two pieces and the equations are carefully chosen so that the value of the function is the same at the endpoints of each piece.

5. Are there any common techniques for making a piecewise function continuous?

One common technique for making a piecewise function continuous is to use the limit definition of continuity to find the value of the function at the point where the pieces meet. Another technique is to use algebraic methods to rearrange the equations and ensure that the values match at the point of intersection.