Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a radio that accesses the internet

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I have a Worldspace radio receiver lying around and I listen to internet radio throughout the day using a PC....
    I was wondering if there was anyway I could modify the radio receiver and connect it to my modem so that it can access the internet and I can listen to internet radio without leaving the PC on all day!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2
    I am no expert, but your radio is a wireless device. Internet is a digital link that need a lot of protocol. I doubt it is even close to compatible.

Even if it is a wireless internet, I believe it is still running 802.11 format that has it's own protocol. It will be a huge project if it is even possible.

I could be wrong, someone might know more.

4. Mar 22, 2012 #3
    Hmm.. not easy. You would need to put a computer inside the receiver in order to run a music-playing application.

You might be better off with a table top, stand-alone internet radio. There are several around, like

Some table-top internet radio

This thingie costs only $60 (but of course will not have the same sound quality as a PC audio system) and does not require a PC - only a WiFi modem/router.

Disclaimer: these table-top devices require either an Ethernet cable connection to your modem/router, or an existing WiFi network provided by your modem/router. Better check for compatibility before buying one.

5. Mar 22, 2012 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Worldspace radio is proprietary broadcast radio and is no longer transmitting. It would be pretty much impossible to connect the device to a network connection to stream internet radio.

6. Mar 25, 2012 #5
    Thanks a lot.
    I guess I'll just drop this idea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook