1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a solenoid from 1.0m of wire. missing information?

1. Mar 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You have a 1.0 m long copper wire. You want to make an N turn current loop that generates a 1.0 mT magnetic field at the centre when the current is 1.0 A. You must use the entire wire. What will be the diameter of your coil (in centimetres)?

2. Relevant equations

B = u0 * n * I

n = N/L

3. The attempt at a solution

I put in the variables and solved for n. I got 795.77. Then I know n = number of turns per unit length (N/L) but it seems that some information is missing from the question. I tried setting the unit length to 1.0m (just a random number) which gives 795.77 turns per meter. Then I know each turn uses Pi * diameter of wire. So 795.77(Pi)d = 1.0m solving for diameter i got 4.00x10^-4m or 0.04cm. But this is the wrong answer. It seems as though i would need to be given the total length of the solenoid in order to determine the required diameter.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With the given information I think you must assume the wire is very thin so you can make the "length" of the "solenoid" approach zero. In other words, the coil looks like a single loop but in actuality comprises many turns.

So, what is the expression for the B field at the center of a single-turn round coil of diameter D?

4. Mar 27, 2014 #3
    Hey thanks for the answer. so I tried using the equation

B = (u0 * N * I)/D for the magnetic field in the centre of a single coil. I set N as 1 turn and solved for D getting 0.0013m or 0.13cm. This was wrong

Then I tried this. Since the total length of the wire I need to use is 1.0m I solved for the diameter of a single loop and got 0.318m Then i used the equation and solved for N which says I would need 253.1 of these loops to make the required magnetic feild. This was also wrong.

So lost on what to do next. Been going at this question for days

5. Mar 27, 2014 #4
    Ahhhh finally figured it out. Just had to get N in terms of d.

6. Mar 28, 2014 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's it! Congrats.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted