1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making an explosive volcano without chemicals? HELP!

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    Making an explosive volcano without chemicals???? HELP!

So heres the deal. I have to make a volcano that does not use chemicals or substances (potassium nitrate, baking soda, vinegar). It has to use mechanical parts to symbolize a volcanic eruption (ie springs for pressure). Any ideas? I have literally no thoughts on how to make it. I also want it to be impressive. Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    It is not possible to make anything out of any material without chemicals - everything is a chemical.
    But I see what you mean - you want to get a model eruption without relying on a chemical reaction.

You realize that real-life volcanos fit the project description - what principles do they use? (i.e. mechanical or pressure?) How do they exploit the principles? Can you think of something that does something similar on a smaller scale?

Basically what you want is to get some model "magma" or something to come out the top of a papier mache cone yes? What sort of devices are there where some mechanical action causes a fluid to come out a hole?

4. Mar 11, 2014 #3
    Any ideas?

5. Mar 11, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not going to do you R&D for you.
    I've already pointed you in two good directions - the idea of these projects is that you get used to applying your own imagination. If I tell you what to do you won't learn.

Seriously: if you don't know how to squirt fluids about, you have more serious problems than I can deal with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted