Removal of broken glass from solar panel

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 3K views
phyduck
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
TL;DR
I'm looking to find a way to remove tempered glass that has been shattered from solar panels to make them viable once again.
I'm looking to find a way to remove tempered glass that has been shattered from solar panels to make them viable once again. I have no idea what kind of adhesive is used here, but I imagine it is some sort of epoxy. I've tried to peel it off with a pressure washer at the car wash to no avail. Any thoughts on a chemical process that would remove the glass pieces without destroying the panels themselves?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
This website claims to have a simple repair method. I can't vouch for it.

https://www.instructables.com/Broken-Solar-Panel-Glass-Repair-Simple/
These types of fixes are often reported as temporary, requiring maintenance after a year or two. I'm hoping that we've just yet to consider the pshysics/chemistry involved here, and can eventually find a way to start over as it were. I live in an area where a hail storm is probably the biggest natural disaster we face, and these panels could be found damaged for a dime a dozen.