Making seat mounts from aluminium

• Construction
  • Thread starter Noj_1991
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminium
In summary, if you have a 630mm gap and want to use two aluminium flat bar lengths to span it, you will need to anneal them before mounting the seat. If you are jumping on the seat, it is not recommended.
Noj_1991
Hi all,

I'm hoping one of you clever people can help me with whether my seat mounts will be suitable or not.

I've done loads of googling and forum searches, but I just can't get my head around it.

I have a 630mm gap that I need to bridge and mount a seat too, so the seat will be directly above the gap.

If I got 2 x 670mm lengths of 5mm thick, 60mm wide 6060 grade aluminium flat bar, and bolted them across the gap (with a 20mm overlap on either side) and then subsequently bolted the seat to these bars, would it take my weight (80kg)

What about if I jumped on it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Noj_1991 said:
Hi all,

I'm hoping one of you clever people can help me with whether my seat mounts will be suitable or not.

I've done loads of googling and forum searches, but I just can't get my head around it.

I have a 630mm gap that I need to bridge and mount a seat too, so the seat will be directly above the gap.

If I got 2 x 670mm lengths of 5mm thick, 60mm wide 6060 grade aluminium flat bar, and bolted them across the gap (with a 20mm overlap on either side) and then subsequently bolted the seat to these bars, would it take my weight (80kg)

What about if I jumped on it?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post a picture or sketch of the situation? What is the seat mounted to?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post a picture or sketch of the situation? What is the seat mounted to?

Cheers for the welcome.

After getting my hands on some aluminium, I can see it's not going to work, it flexes too easily.

I appreciate box section would be better- but would it be enough?

FB_IMG_1550175503953.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1550175503953.jpg
    FB_IMG_1550175503953.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 386
Typically, in a car, you will support off of tubing. There are a few that make formed aluminum as a base, and it uses the seat for additional rigidity. Kirkey has a variety of brackets that you may get ideas from. There will typically be one of these on each side of the seat, but I don't know that it will span the distance you have in the OP. Flat aluminum will not do a good job making this span. For aluminum, you will need a bend to give you a vertical structural element for strength. 6063/6061 are not considered formable without annealing. 3003/5052 are better aluminum selections for formability, if you make them yourself.

Typical Kirkey bracket
kir-99214_xl.jpg

Other seat mounts that may give you ideas:
https://www.swracecars.com/store/Seats--Seat-Mounts-OSCAR_248.aspx
https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-358-tube-style-seat-frame-for-full-chassis.aspx
https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-357-stock-floor-seat-mount.aspx
https://www.appliedracing.com/search?query=seat+mount&submit=Go

If this post is not for a race car or the like, I apologize for sending it down a rabbit hole.

Attachments

• kir-99214_xl.jpg
    kir-99214_xl.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 408
Likes dlgoff
Slightly off-topic but, if I did such to a car I owned, I'd have to declare it to the insurance who may require a formal inspection. Similarly, formal and semi-formal competitions have rigorous safety inspections. May I suggest you ask those authorities sooner rather than later ? BEFORE you 'cut metal' ?
Based on their findings, you may be able to eg nest box-sections, add spreaders, double brackets etc etc to satisfy safety concerns.

Be aware that you, at rest, may be 80 kg. Your butt arriving rapidly will provide a bigger shock-load. Washboard surface will double it etc etc...

Likes ChemAir

1. What are the advantages of using aluminium for seat mounts?

Aluminium is a lightweight and strong material, making it ideal for seat mounts as it can support the weight of a person while being relatively light. It is also resistant to corrosion, making it durable and long-lasting.

2. How do you make seat mounts from aluminium?

The process of making seat mounts from aluminium involves cutting the aluminium into the desired shape, drilling holes for bolts, and then bending and shaping the metal using specialized tools. The final step is to attach the mounts to the seat and the vehicle.

3. Can aluminium seat mounts be customized?

Yes, aluminium seat mounts can be customized to fit specific vehicles and seat designs. They can be cut, bent, and shaped to match the dimensions and angles required for a perfect fit.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using aluminium seat mounts?

Aluminium is a safe and commonly used material for seat mounts. However, it is important to ensure that the mounts are properly installed and secured to avoid any accidents or injuries. Regular maintenance and checks should also be done to ensure the mounts remain in good condition.

5. How do aluminium seat mounts compare to other materials?

Compared to other materials such as steel or plastic, aluminium seat mounts offer a good balance of strength and weight. They are also more resistant to corrosion than steel and can be easily customized, making them a popular choice for seat mounts in various vehicles.