Construction Making seat mounts from aluminium

• Thread starter Noj_1991
  • Start date
Hi all,

I'm hoping one of you clever people can help me with whether my seat mounts will be suitable or not.

I've done loads of googling and forum searches, but I just can't get my head around it.

I have a 630mm gap that I need to bridge and mount a seat too, so the seat will be directly above the gap.

If I got 2 x 670mm lengths of 5mm thick, 60mm wide 6060 grade aluminium flat bar, and bolted them across the gap (with a 20mm overlap on either side) and then subsequently bolted the seat to these bars, would it take my weight (80kg)

What about if I jumped on it?

berkeman

Mentor
Hi all,

I'm hoping one of you clever people can help me with whether my seat mounts will be suitable or not.

I've done loads of googling and forum searches, but I just can't get my head around it.

I have a 630mm gap that I need to bridge and mount a seat too, so the seat will be directly above the gap.

If I got 2 x 670mm lengths of 5mm thick, 60mm wide 6060 grade aluminium flat bar, and bolted them across the gap (with a 20mm overlap on either side) and then subsequently bolted the seat to these bars, would it take my weight (80kg)

What about if I jumped on it?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post a picture or sketch of the situation? What is the seat mounted to?

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post a picture or sketch of the situation? What is the seat mounted to?
Cheers for the welcome.

After getting my hands on some aluminium, I can see it's not going to work, it flexes too easily.

I appreciate box section would be better- but would it be enough?

FB_IMG_1550175503953.jpg

Attachments

ChemAir

Gold Member
Typically, in a car, you will support off of tubing. There are a few that make formed aluminum as a base, and it uses the seat for additional rigidity. Kirkey has a variety of brackets that you may get ideas from. There will typically be one of these on each side of the seat, but I don't know that it will span the distance you have in the OP. Flat aluminum will not do a good job making this span. For aluminum, you will need a bend to give you a vertical structural element for strength. 6063/6061 are not considered formable without annealing. 3003/5052 are better aluminum selections for formability, if you make them yourself.

Typical Kirkey bracket
kir-99214_xl.jpg

Other seat mounts that may give you ideas:
https://www.swracecars.com/store/Seats--Seat-Mounts-OSCAR_248.aspx
https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-358-tube-style-seat-frame-for-full-chassis.aspx
https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-357-stock-floor-seat-mount.aspx
https://www.appliedracing.com/search?query=seat+mount&submit=Go

If this post is not for a race car or the like, I apologize for sending it down a rabbit hole.

Attachments

Slightly off-topic but, if I did such to a car I owned, I'd have to declare it to the insurance who may require a formal inspection. Similarly, formal and semi-formal competitions have rigorous safety inspections. May I suggest you ask those authorities sooner rather than later ? BEFORE you 'cut metal' ?
Based on their findings, you may be able to eg nest box-sections, add spreaders, double brackets etc etc to satisfy safety concerns.

Be aware that you, at rest, may be 80 kg. Your butt arriving rapidly will provide a bigger shock-load. Washboard surface will double it etc etc...