Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making society independent of fossil fuels.

1. May 5, 2006 #1
    Original here : http://www.everything-science.com/content/view/155/2/

After reading this , a question sprung into my head : "Where are they going to get that much Hydrogen , to replace all the fossil fuels that are used today ?"

Any ideas ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2006 #2
    Hydrogen can be produced very simply via electrolysis.

You could even try this yourself. Just take a battery, a couple of wires and a cup of water.... & hey presto, hydrogen and oxygen.

4. May 6, 2006 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If that's all it took we'd be winning. You forgot about the energy input needed.

5. May 6, 2006 #4
    Nuclear power.

6. May 6, 2006 #5
    That's not a very good idea , since it would make fuel prices go up ALOT , becouse electricity is the most expensive form of energy.

After looking at some figures , it seems to me that you'd waste more energy producing hydrogen , then you'd get from burning it.So electrolysis definatly isn't a good method.

7. May 6, 2006 #6
    Firstly, in order to get hydrogen from ammonia you need to put in energy, which rather defeats the point. I would say that hydrogen is just a buzzword here, the real reaction is

ammonia + oxygen -> nitrogen +water

As to where you get the ammonia from, well yes you have to manufacture it and that takes more energy that you'll get out. Such technologies are really a method of energy storage, not production. The idea is to use an environmentally friendly source of energy in the manufacture.

8. May 7, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Although mass-production of hydrogen (via electrolysis from seawater, for example) is not 100% efficient, neither is the mass-production of fossil fuels. Besides, the increase in efficiency of fuel-cell vehicles offsets the efficiency hit incurred by electrolysis.

Keep in mind that the purpose of the hydrogen economy is not to boost overall system efficiency -- it's mainly just to wean us off fossil fuels and rampant pollution. You can generate energy much more cleanly at a centralized plant (even if it's still burning coal) than in a lightweight automobile burning gasoline. That's the point: push the pollution up the supply chain so that it can be better controlled.

- Warren

9. May 10, 2006 #8
    wouldnt alcohol be a good alternative source, i dont know the potential evergy of it, but i think ethanol has enough, not sure, tell me if im wrong, but it burns cleanly, and we can produce it rather easily.

and i dont think getting hydrogen from water will ever be worth it.

how about nuclear power automobiles? i think that sounds safe...

10. May 10, 2006 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

No. Nuclear power would have to be limited to RTG's.

Making a small nuclear reactor requires high enrichment and the smaller the reactor the more difficult the control system. In addition to safety, there would be proliferation issues - cars would likely be stolen for the nuclear material. Plus the infrastructure to support a fleet of nuclear powered cars would be expensive. And most likley a nuclear power car would cost much more than an ordinary consumer could afford.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?