Mallory 50V 2500uf large can capacitor question

• Thread starter Planobilly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, this transistor amp is a restoration project and I am trying to find original parts and do a good lookalike restoration.
Planobilly
Hi guys,
I am trying to replace two 1960's Hunts 50V 2500uf large can aluminum capacitor that are in a 1964 transistor Vox T.60 bass amp. The capacitor is about 4 inches long and 1 and 3/8 inches in dia.
I see on ebay a Mallory 2500uF 50V Large Can Electrolytic Capacitor CGS252U050R4C3PH for sale of the same size and near the same color.
I can not seem to find a data sheet on the old Hunts capacitor or the new Mallory.

In today's world I ASSUME there is no need for such a large form factor electrolytic capacitor and I could use a smaller cap and "hide" it inside the old Hunts can.

Am I missing something??

Cheers,

Billy

BTW: All of this is part of trying to rebuild a 1964 Vox T.60 bass amp. This was the first transistor amp every built by Vox and was a serious failure. It is unstable and eats output transistors for breakfast...lol

upload_2016-3-20_15-13-32.png

This is a comment someone on another forum made. "This T60 amplifier circuit must have a very high THD because it use a driver transformer, bad bias of the output transistors (probably class B) and has no feedback"

The idea is to return this amp to as close to original as I can and not to address the design flaws. Well...I guess, at least at this point.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is a short video of the amp in question.

Planobilly said:
In today's world I ASSUME there is no need for such a large form factor electrolytic capacitor and I could use a smaller cap and "hide" it inside the old Hunts can.

That's what I would do if you are wanting to do a good lookalike restoration :smile:Dave

Hi Dave,
I actually think the "hide" the new capacitor is the best solution. While I am pretty sure the Mallory capacitor will work ok it is not the exact same color as the old Hunts and would be quite noticeable as not being original.

I am not so sure about what to do with the Mullard OC44 black glass germanium transistors. I have only seen one ad for sale for OC44 transistors which are in England. That guy says he has 12 in total. $40 for all of them, with free shipping, which is not the end of the world even if they don't work. I have not found any others for sale anywhere. If I can not find original OC44 germanium that are still good I then have a re-design issue to deal with using modern silicone transistors and no way to "hide" a new silicone transistor inside a black glass old OC44 even if I could get it apart with breaking it...well...I guess that is a true statement. Perhaps a very tiny transistor that would work exist.

This will be a fun project in any event!

Cheers,

Billy

The OC44 black glass transistors are only 5mm in dia.

Planobilly said:
I am not so sure about what to do with the Mullard OC44 black glass germanium transistors. I have only seen one ad for sale for OC44 transistors which are in England.

If you are going to change these to silicon, don't forget you will have to do some other circuit rearranging as biasing and other parameters will be different

I wouldn't change the old OC types unless absolutely necessaryD

Last edited:
There are several OC44 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SIX-OC44-Mullard-Black-PNP-Transistor-gain-43-to-47-/381573962334?hash=item58d7949a5e:g:rtwAAOSwvFZW7UuE
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NOS-Mullard-OC44-HFE-109-Leakage-0-00mA-germanium-transistor-range-master-/182037502590?hash=item2a6247da7e:g:BdMAAOSwPc9W0c6i
also looks like one here (see image)..
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-Radio-Electronics-Amplifier-4-Mullard-Transistors-OC-Types-Used-/201545691396?hash=item2eed0f3104:g:YPEAAOSwBLlVa1~b

Possible USA supplier of a metal can OC44..
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/GT-OC44-p/100-gt-oc44.htm

Likes davenn
Thanks for the ebay links. The first two I was aware of but not the third. I was able to find a data sheet in German for the OC44 black glass ones so perhaps I can find a data sheet for the metal can ones to see if they match.

I am with Dave on not making any changes that are not absolutely necessary.

I have read some post that describe some possible changes to silicone. I think the changes would be difficult at best for me understand and make.

This amp worked when it left the factory, perhaps not very well and not for long. I think I want to get it back to original or as close as that can be done.
The Serial number is 0786. I sort of assume that at least 786 were made...well...if the numbers started at zero. The point being that a bunch of them worked with this design at least for a while.

Vox as I understand the history, stopped production at some point and went back to tube design on the next model. They said they felt like they did not understand transistor design well enough at that moment in time to continue making transistor amps.

I do not feel like I understand transistor amps well enough at this moment in time to to re-design there amp...lol

Cheers,

Billy

As an aside
We (many of us) used to use the OC series transistors as photo detector transistors by scraping an area of that black paint off

ohhh, them were the days ... you are bring up all sorts of old memories using those devices :wink:Dave

Planobilly said:
I have read some post that describe some possible changes to silicone.

hahahaha that made me laugh :DD

silicone = fake boobs
silicon = semiconductor material

Hi Dave,

lol...perhaps fake boobs is just what this amp needs...lol

Brain damage is a funny thing...lol...it comes from living in France for too long and sticking an "e" on the end of everything...lol

Cheers,

Billy

Likes davenn

1. What is the purpose of the Mallory 50V 2500uf large can capacitor?

The Mallory 50V 2500uf large can capacitor is used to store and release electrical energy in electronic circuits. It helps regulate the voltage and stabilize the current in the circuit.

2. What are the specifications of the Mallory 50V 2500uf large can capacitor?

The Mallory 50V 2500uf large can capacitor has a voltage rating of 50 volts and a capacitance of 2500 microfarads. It has a cylindrical shape and a large size, making it suitable for high-powered applications.

3. How do I choose the right capacitor for my electronic circuit?

When choosing a capacitor, you need to consider the voltage rating, capacitance, size, and type of capacitor required for your circuit. It is also important to ensure that the capacitor can handle the maximum voltage and current in your circuit to prevent damage.

4. Can I use the Mallory 50V 2500uf large can capacitor in place of a smaller capacitor with the same voltage rating?

Yes, you can use the Mallory 50V 2500uf large can capacitor in place of a smaller capacitor with the same voltage rating. However, it is important to note that the larger capacitor will have a higher capacitance, which may affect the performance of your circuit.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when handling the Mallory 50V 2500uf large can capacitor?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when handling any capacitor, including the Mallory 50V 2500uf large can capacitor. Make sure to discharge the capacitor before handling it, and always use protective equipment to avoid electric shocks. Additionally, be careful not to short-circuit the capacitor, as it can cause damage to the circuit and potentially harm you.