Managing Dual Linux OS and Partitions on PC

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's desire to uninstall ArchLinux and make a new partition for data. They are considering deleting /dev/sda1 and are seeking confirmation that it is not needed for booting Ubuntu. They are advised to check their BIOS boot sequence before making any changes.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi,

I am running on pc with 2 different Linux OS and the following partitions

/dev/sda1 (Boot)
/dev/sda2 (ArchLinux)
/dev/sda3 (something empty)

/dev/sdb1 (Ubuntu)
/dev/sdb2 (EFI System partition)
/dev/sdb3 (no name)

Since I basically don't use ArchLinux, I wanted to uninstall it. I though of formatting the /dev/sda2/ partition with together with the /dev/sda3/ and make a new empty partition for data. I was wondering if I can delete the /dev/sda1 as well, since to boot ubuntu I should just need the /dev/sdb2, right?

Thanks
Ric

Physics news on Phys.org
First seriously consider checking how your BIOS boot sequence(s) are set before you do anything at all.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. So my boot options are the following:

UEFI BOOT:
Ubuntu
UEFI: Crucial_CT(...lot of numbers)
Linux Boot Manager

I am not an expert, but I would guess that the /dev/sda1 in Post #1 is not used to boot ubuntu. Right ?

1. How do I install dual Linux OS on my PC?

To install dual Linux OS on your PC, you will need to first partition your hard drive. This can be done during the installation process of your first Linux OS or by using a partitioning tool such as GParted. Once your hard drive is partitioned, you can then install the second Linux OS on the newly created partition.

2. Can I access files from one Linux OS while using the other?

Yes, you can access files from one Linux OS while using the other. Both operating systems will be installed on the same hard drive, so all of your files will be stored in the same location. However, you may need to mount the partition of the other Linux OS in order to access its files.

3. How do I manage the boot loader for dual Linux OS?

The boot loader is responsible for allowing you to choose which operating system to boot into when you start your computer. Typically, the boot loader for Linux is GRUB. During the installation process of your second Linux OS, you will be given the option to install GRUB. Make sure to select the same partition as your first Linux OS for the boot loader and it will automatically detect both operating systems.

4. Can I resize or delete a partition for one of the Linux OS?

Yes, you can resize or delete a partition for one of the Linux OS. However, this should be done with caution as it can potentially cause data loss. It is recommended to backup any important files before making any changes to the partitions.

5. How do I switch between the two Linux OS?

To switch between the two Linux OS, you will need to reboot your computer and select the desired operating system from the boot loader menu. You can also set a default operating system to boot into if you do not want to manually select it every time.