1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Manipulating inverse square graph into straight line graph

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the course of performing several trials I determined that if you have 2 charged metal spheres (with the same amount of charge on them) and they are both positively charged, then the force of repulsion between them is changed by 1/4 each time you double the distance between them.

This experiment no doubt sounds very familiar as it has been done many times before.

I collected my data (16N@1.0cm, 4N@2.0cm, 1N@4.0cm, and 0.25N@8.0cm) and graphed it and of course I end up with a classic looking descending, concave looking graph which is the inverse square graph, I think.

2. Relevant equations

Now I have been puzzling over this for quite a while and even asked my boss and some co-workers to help and even together we can not figure it out - the question is:

"manipulate the data so that the graph is a straight line graph"

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried doubling the charge, halving the distance, square rooting the distance, etc.

It always seems to end up with the same shape.

I think I might be missing the fundamental lesson here. Hopefully someone here can offer some insight.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have a relationship that is force = some_factor/distance^2
    And a straight line is y=mx + c

So you need to put it into this form.
    y (ie. force) = m x (ie. 1/r^2 )
  4. Jan 15, 2010 #3
    Thank you very much - I knew it was something fundamental.

I have been out of school for several years and am taking a course to upgrade and the formula for the graph of a line is something I have completely forgotten!

So I need to manipulate my F=kq/r^2 into a form that matches y=mx + c?

I will make an attempt to do so.
  5. Jan 15, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes just plot force against 1/r^2
  6. Jan 15, 2010 #5
    Ok, I am still struggling with this.

If i used y=mx or in this case F=m(1/r^2) I am going to get the same answers am I not?

I can't see the difference between F=m/r^2 and F=m(1/r^2) where m is equal to kq.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?