1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem graphing Irradiance and distance experiment

1. Jan 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Used a solar cell and a ray box, altering the distance from the solar cell to the light source in 10cm increments.
    Did the usual high school experimental controls and repeats.
    Assuming that the voltage is proportional to the irradiance, I am meant to graph the results.

2. Relevant equations

I1d12=I2d22

I = k / d^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I graphed the results:
    http://imgur.com/a/Pc70V

But as you can see, the inverse square graph isn't a straight line and I dont know why. Could it be my results or am I graphing it wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What did you get when you turned the light source off?

4. Jan 10, 2017 #3
    I removed as much background light as I could so the base reading was 0V, I checked that it returned to 0V between each distance when the light source was off

5. Jan 10, 2017 #4

berkeman

Can you say more about your "light box"? How well were reflections attenuated?

6. Jan 10, 2017 #5
    I don't know, it's just an average high school ray box with no filter or slits attached. So it's not a point light source

7. Jan 10, 2017 #6

berkeman

Can you post a picture or a drawing? Can you see how there might be multiple paths that the source light can take to get to your detector (via reflections)? Would something like that lead to less than the ideal drop-off as you got farther away? If so, how?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted