Problem graphing Irradiance and distance experiment

In summary: Can you post a picture or a drawing? Can you see how there might be multiple paths that the source light can take to get to your detector (via reflections)? Would something like that lead to less than the ideal drop-off as you got farther away? If so, how?In summary, the results indicated that the voltage was not proportional to the irradiance.
SuchBants

Homework Statement

Used a solar cell and a ray box, altering the distance from the solar cell to the light source in 10cm increments.
Did the usual high school experimental controls and repeats.
Assuming that the voltage is proportional to the irradiance, I am meant to graph the results.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I1d12=I2d22

I = k / d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed the results:
http://imgur.com/a/Pc70V[/B]

But as you can see, the inverse square graph isn't a straight line and I don't know why. Could it be my results or am I graphing it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
SuchBants said:

Homework Statement

Used a solar cell and a ray box, altering the distance from the solar cell to the light source in 10cm increments.
Did the usual high school experimental controls and repeats.
Assuming that the voltage is proportional to the irradiance, I am meant to graph the results.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I1d12=I2d22

I = k / d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed the results:
http://imgur.com/a/Pc70V[/B]

But as you can see, the inverse square graph isn't a straight line and I don't know why. Could it be my results or am I graphing it wrong?

What did you get when you turned the light source off?

berkeman said:
What did you get when you turned the light source off?

I removed as much background light as I could so the base reading was 0V, I checked that it returned to 0V between each distance when the light source was off

SuchBants said:
I removed as much background light as I could so the base reading was 0V, I checked that it returned to 0V between each distance when the light source was off
Can you say more about your "light box"? How well were reflections attenuated?

berkeman said:
Can you say more about your "light box"? How well were reflections attenuated?

I don't know, it's just an average high school ray box with no filter or slits attached. So it's not a point light source

SuchBants said:
I don't know, it's just an average high school ray box with no filter or slits attached. So it's not a point light source
Can you post a picture or a drawing? Can you see how there might be multiple paths that the source light can take to get to your detector (via reflections)? Would something like that lead to less than the ideal drop-off as you got farther away? If so, how?

1. What is the purpose of the "Problem graphing Irradiance and distance experiment?"

The purpose of this experiment is to investigate the relationship between irradiance (light intensity) and distance, and to graph the results in order to analyze the data and draw conclusions.

2. How is the experiment set up and conducted?

The experiment involves setting up a light source at a fixed distance from a light sensor, and then measuring the irradiance at various distances from the light source. This process is repeated multiple times to gather reliable data. The data is then graphed to show the relationship between irradiance and distance.

3. What are the variables in this experiment?

The independent variable is the distance between the light source and the light sensor. The dependent variable is the irradiance measured by the light sensor. Other variables that should be controlled include the type of light source, the angle of the light source, and the ambient light in the room.

4. How can the results of this experiment be interpreted?

The results of this experiment can be interpreted by analyzing the graph of the data. A direct relationship between irradiance and distance can be seen, where the irradiance decreases as the distance from the light source increases. This relationship can also be described using mathematical equations, such as the inverse square law.

5. What are the potential sources of error in this experiment?

Potential sources of error in this experiment include variations in the light source, inaccuracies in measuring the distance and irradiance, and external factors such as ambient light or temperature. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to ensure accurate results.