Mapping of Functions (Complex Analysis)

In summary, the function w = e^z maps the rectangle -1<x<1 ; 0<y<(x+pi(i)) onto the semi-annulus y>0 and -e<r<-1/e in a one-to-one manner. The attempt at a solution involves showing that e^z1/e^z2=1=e^(z1-z2) to prove one-to-one mapping. However, the notation for y<(x+pi(i)) is unclear as inequalities are not written with complex numbers.
bleedblue1234

Homework Statement

Show that the function w = e^z maps the shaded rectangle in Fig X one-to-one onto the semi-annulus in Fig y.

Fig x is the rectangle -1<x<1 ; 0<y<(x+pi(i))

Fig y is the semi-annulus such that y>0 and -e<r<-1/e

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to show the function is one-to-one. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If e^z1=e^z2, then e^z1/e^z2=1=e^(z1-z2). 0<y<(x+pi(i)) looks a little odd if i is the imaginary unit. You don't write inequalities with complex numbers. What is 'i'?

Last edited:

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex variables. It involves the application of calculus to functions of complex numbers, which have both real and imaginary components.

What is the mapping of functions in complex analysis?

The mapping of functions in complex analysis refers to the process of representing a complex function as a mapping between two sets of complex numbers. This allows for the visualization and understanding of complex functions in a geometric manner.

How is the mapping of functions useful in complex analysis?

The mapping of functions in complex analysis allows for the study and analysis of complex functions in a visual and intuitive way. It also helps in understanding and solving problems related to complex variables, such as finding roots and evaluating integrals. Additionally, it has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the different types of mappings in complex analysis?

There are several types of mappings in complex analysis, including linear mappings, conformal mappings, and holomorphic mappings. Linear mappings preserve the shape and size of objects, conformal mappings preserve angles, and holomorphic mappings preserve both angles and areas.

How is the mapping of functions related to the concept of analytic functions?

The mapping of functions is closely related to the concept of analytic functions in complex analysis. An analytic function is one that can be expressed as a power series, and its mapping can be represented by a Taylor series. This allows for the use of tools such as differentiation and integration in the study of complex functions.