Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mapping of multivalued complex function.

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    A complex function [tex]f\left(z\right)=\sqrt{z}[/tex] can be splitted into two branches:
    1. Principal branch: [tex]f_{1}\left(z\right)=\sqrt{r} e^{i \left(\theta/2\right)}[/tex]
    2. Second branch: [tex]f_{2}\left(z\right)=\sqrt{r} e^{i \left[\left(\theta+2\pi\right) /2\right]}[/tex]

My question is, is there a way to show/proof that the principal branch only map the z-plane to the right half plane of w-plane (Re w > 0) to which positive imaginary semiaxis is added, and that the second branch only map the z-plane to the left half plane of w-plane (Re w < 0) to which negative imaginary semiaxis is added??

Then, how exactly is to plot these branches in z-plane and w-plane? I am confused, because r and theta could be anywhere in the z-plane, and hence it could be mapped to any point in the w-plane. Please tell me if what I said is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2
    Well,
    if you parametrize the entire complex plane by [tex]( z=re^{i\theta} : r\in R, r\geq0, -\pi\leq\theta\leq\pi)[/tex]

Then the range of [tex]\sqrt{r}[/tex] from r>0 remains [tex]r\in R, r\geq0 [/tex]
    But the range of [tex]\theta /2[/tex] from [tex]-\pi\leq\theta\leq\pi[/tex] is
    [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2}\leq \theta /2 \leq \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

So the range of the first branch has a parametrization:
    [tex]( w=re^{i\theta}: r\in R, r\geq0, -\frac{\pi}{2}\leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2} )[/tex]

Which is off course a parametrization of the right half plane Re(w)>0

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3
    I see it now. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook