1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Markov Chains and absorption probabilites

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Could someone please help me with this question?

A single-celled organism contains N particles, some of which are of type A, the others of
    type B . The cell is said to be in state i , where 0<=i<=N if it contains exactly i particles
    of type A. Daughter cells are formed by cell division, but fi rst each particle replicates itself;
    the daughter cell inherits N particles chosen at random from the 2i particles of type A
    and 2N-2i of type B in the parent cell.

Find the absorption probabilities and expected times to absorption for the case N = 3.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far i have that the absorbing states are i=0 and i=3 but cant work out the probabilities or times to absorption. Don't know where to start now that i have my absorbing states

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From state i, the (A,B) numbers of the daughter are determined by N independent "draws", with probabilities P(A) = i/N and P(B) = 1-P(A) in each draw.

4. Feb 4, 2013 #3
    So is the probability of say reaching state 1 from state 2 1/5 from the number of possible combinations of the daughter cell or am i going about this the wrong way?

5. Feb 4, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have said all I intend to say on the subject.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook