1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Markovian Master Equation and Uncorrelated States

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In deriving the Markovian master equation for a weakly coupled system+environment scensario, we have
    [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t} P \rho(t) = \alpha^2 \int_{t_0}^t P L(t) L(s) P \rho(s) ds [/tex]
    where [itex] \alpha [/itex] is the coupling strenght, [itex] P\rho = \left( \mathrm{Tr} \rho \right) \otimes \rho_B [/itex] for [itex] \rho_B [/itex] the initial environment state, [itex] Q\rho = (\mathcal I - P ) \rho [/itex] for [itex] \mathcal I [/itex] the identity superoperator, and L the Liouvillian of the system satisfying [itex] L(t)\rho = -i[H_I(t), \rho(t)] [/itex] where H is the interaction Hamiltonian. My goal is to show that with the knowledge, if we have an initially uncorrelated state
    [tex] \rho(t_0) = \rho_A(t_0) \otimes \rho_B(t_0) [/tex]
    then the state remains uncorrelated for all time [itex] t \geq 0 [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    This pre-master equation comes from the fact that we've assumed the propagator [itex] G(s,t) = \mathrm{exp}\left[ \alpha \int_s^t QL(\tau) d\tau \right] [/itex] is approximated by identity (which occurs in the weak coupling limit). I need to show that in this weak coupling limit, the states do not become entangled (intuitively reasonable), though I can't think of how to show that the evolution according to the above differo-integral equation keeps the states uncorrelated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2009 #2
    Nobody has any ideas?

4. Mar 13, 2009 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, this is just an idea but; you might try showing that [tex]\rho(t) = \rho_A(t) \otimes \rho_B(t) [/tex] is a solution, and then perhaps see if there might be some uniqueness theorem you could appeal to that guarantees it's the only solution given the initial condition [tex]\rho(t_0) = \rho_A(t_0) \otimes \rho_B(t_0)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook