Marterial Science (Chemistry Related) Problem

• Thread starter Double A
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation is about a problem in material science related to chemistry. Specifically, the problem involves calculating the number of Si and O atoms present in a metal-oxide-semiconductor (MOS) device. After struggling to find a solution, the person is seeking help to get started. Another person responds by suggesting to use the density and thickness to calculate the mass of oxide in a square millimeter, and from there, determine the number of atoms. The original person then confirms their solution and asks for the formula used.
Double A
Material Science (Chemistry Related) Problem

I am having a hard time starting my solution to the following problem:

In a metal-oxide-semiconductor (MOS) device, a thin layer of [tex]SiO_2[/tex] (density = 2.20 [tex]Mg/m^3[/tex]) is grown on a single crystal chip of silicon. How many Si atoms and how many O atoms are present per square millimeter of the oxide layer? Assume that the layer thickness is 100 nm.

So far I have been looking throughout the textbook at some sample problems but the sample problems are not asking for a similar solution to this question. I have also referred to my lecture notes and have not gotten any where for quite some time. Mentally I thought that I could find the volume of the silicon oxide but I was incorrect in my mental calculations. Please help me get started.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the density and thickness, you can get the mass in a square millimeter of oxide. From there, you can get the number of Si and O atoms by knowing how much these atoms weigh.

Carl

Thanks I did arrive at a solution of 2.21x[tex]10^{15}[/tex] atoms of SI and 4.41x[tex]10^{15}[/tex] atoms of O.

But What formula did you use? I did not get the same answers

yes, some clarification to this post is needed. what steps do u take to get those answers?

1. What is material science?

Material science is a field that studies the properties, structure, and processing of various materials, such as metals, polymers, ceramics, and composites. It combines principles from physics, chemistry, and engineering to understand how materials behave and how they can be manipulated to improve their properties for different applications.

2. What are the main branches of material science?

The main branches of material science are metallurgy, polymer science, ceramics, and composites. Each branch focuses on a specific type of material and its properties, structure, and processing.

3. How is chemistry related to material science?

Chemistry is a fundamental part of material science. It helps to understand the composition and structure of materials at the molecular level, which is essential for predicting their properties and behavior. Chemistry also plays a crucial role in the development of new materials and improving existing ones through synthesis and modification techniques.

4. What are some real-world applications of material science?

Material science has a wide range of real-world applications, including aerospace and automotive industries, construction, electronics, healthcare, and energy production. For example, material scientists develop new lightweight and durable materials for aircraft, stronger and more fuel-efficient materials for cars, and biocompatible materials for medical implants.

5. How can material science help solve global challenges?

Material science is essential in addressing global challenges such as climate change, pollution, and sustainable development. For instance, researchers are working on developing new materials that can capture and store carbon dioxide, creating more efficient and renewable energy sources, and designing eco-friendly and biodegradable materials to reduce waste and pollution.