Mass vs Weight: Understanding Relative Atomic Mass

In summary: I haven't read the Wikipedia article you linked to, but I should point out that the statement you quoted is a statement about what names human beings have decided to assign to various quantities, and how those names are changing. It is not a statement about physics.In summary, the term atomic weight is slowly being phased out and replaced by relative atomic mass in most current usage. This change in terminology is not a statement about physics, but rather a reflection of how human beings have decided to name and define these quantities. Weight and mass are two different things, with weight being a measure of the gravitational force on an object and mass being a measure of the amount of matter in an object. While it may seem illogical and irresponsible to use the same
bonjour
"The term atomic weight is being phased out slowly and being replaced by relative atomic mass, in most current usage"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_mass

Wouldn't this just mean all weight is mass since everything is made out of atoms?

Physics news on Phys.org
bonjour said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_mass

Wouldn't this just mean all weight is mass since everything is made out of atoms?

Weight and mass are two different things, because weight is an example of a force, and force and mass are two totally different things. To elaborate: the weight of an object in a gravitational field is the force exerted upon that object by the gravitational field. Mass, on the other hand, loosely speaking, can be thought of as a measure of the total amount of "stuff" comprising an object.

I haven't read the Wikipedia article you linked to, but I should point out that the statement you quoted is a statement about what names human beings have decided to assign to various quantities, and how those names are changing. It is not a statement about physics.

bonjour said:
No, they are just trying to clean up the terminology. "Weight" is a measure of the gravitational force acting on an object. Weight depends on mass, but is not the same thing.

Doc Al said:
No, they are just trying to clean up the terminology
Isn't it illogical and irresponsible to name two different things under the same term?

cepheid said:
the statement you quoted is a statement about what names human beings have decided to assign
As opposed to which other species assigning names (e2a: and making statements about physics)?

bonjour said:
Isn't it illogical and irresponsible to name two different things under the same term?
I agree that atomic mass is a more accurate term than atomic weight. That's why they are cleaning up the terminology. (Despite the terminology, the professionals know what is meant by the term.)

Doc Al said:
I agree that atomic mass is a more accurate term than atomic weight.
That's not what I asked. Nonetheless I think I have found an answer that I'm happy to go away with.

I thank you Doc Al for your own personal time that you have given me in effort of replying to my query. I am (although miles away) extremely grateful.

So weight is the gravitational pull? And mass is how big something is?

JohnniG said:
So weight is the gravitational pull? And mass is how big something is?

Weight is mass times acceleration. If you're on Earth your weight is equal to mg (g varies somewhat with your location on Earth).

Mass is a characteristic of an object that essentially tells one how much matter it is composed of.

CS

Okay, thanks a lot :)

bonjour said:

Illogical, certainly. Yet, it happens ALL the time in science. (Possibly historical) names for things that make absolutely no sense given our current understanding of what they are? (E.g. Planetary nebulae). Check. The same word being used to mean two totally different things in two different sciences, or even in two different fields of study within the same science, or even in two different contexts in the same field of study in the same science? (Just think of the words "flux" and "intensity" for starters). Check.

bonjour said:
As opposed to which other species assigning names (e2a: and making statements about physics)?

Huh?? I fail to see how your remark is even a remotely relevant or sensible response to what I posted. I was just trying to make the point that nomenclature, is, as always, arbitrary and devised by people (i.e. it is "man-made", and the choice of name has no impact on the underlying phenomenon that it is describing. If I had replaced the term "human beings" with "people" in my sentence, would you have even made this comment?

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational pull.

How is relative atomic mass determined?

Relative atomic mass is determined by comparing the mass of an atom to the mass of a standard reference atom, usually carbon-12. This comparison is based on the number of protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus.

What is the unit of measurement for mass and weight?

The unit of measurement for mass is grams (g) or kilograms (kg), while the unit of measurement for weight is newtons (N). In the imperial system, mass is measured in ounces (oz) and pounds (lbs), while weight is measured in pounds (lbs).

Can mass and weight be equal?

No, mass and weight are two different physical quantities and cannot be equal. However, the weight of an object on Earth can be equal to its mass because the acceleration due to gravity is constant on the surface of the Earth.

How does relative atomic mass affect the properties of an element?

Relative atomic mass does not directly affect the properties of an element. However, it can be used to calculate other important properties, such as molar mass and molar volume, which can then influence the behavior and characteristics of an element.