Mass Colliding With a Spring (Fixed Speed)

In summary, a 2.77 kg mass is sliding at 3 meters per second across a frictionless surface and encounters a spring with a spring constant of 50 N/m. The mass compresses the spring by 0.706 meters, using the conservation of energy equation. For the second part, where the time it takes for the spring to compress is calculated, attempts using F = kx and solving for time using F*t = m*v and solving for acceleration using ma = kx and substituting it into the formula x = vit + 0.5at^2 were not successful. The correct answer is still unknown.
checkmatechamp

Homework Statement

A 2.77 kg mass is sliding across a frictional surface. It then encounters a happy little spring, as shown in the figure. By how much will the mass compress the spring? (The mass is moving at 3 meters per second, and the spring constant is equal 50 N/m)

Homework Equations

F = ma
F = kx
F*t = m*v (Possibly?)

The Attempt at a Solution

If the mass was accelerating at 3 m/s^2, the problem would be straightforward. (Just use the acceleration to calculate the force exerted by the mass on the spring, and then divide by the spring constant). But since the mass is moving at a constant speed, you can't do that.

If the speed is constant, acceleration is 0, but that would imply that the spring doesn't compress at all once the mass hits it, which obviously makes no logical sense. I don't think the friction plays any real role (presumably, the mass is traveling at 3 m/s at the instant it hits the spring), and they don't give the coefficient of friction anyway.

The only thing I can think of is if the momentum were calculated, and then divided by the amount of time it takes to compress the spring. But the time isn't given either. (Actually, there's a second part to this question where it asks how long it would take for the spring to compress)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't attach the figure, but from the question I guess you can assume the spring has no mass, and the other end of the spring is fixed. So conservation of momentum isn't relevant here.

What other types of motion have you studied that involve a mass and a spring?

Or if that doesn't help, what other quantities might be conserved, as well as momentum?

Also did you mean a "frictional surface", or is that a typo for a "frictionless surface"?

AlephZero said:
You didn't attach the figure, but from the question I guess you can assume the spring has no mass, and the other end of the spring is fixed. So conservation of momentum isn't relevant here.

What other types of motion have you studied that involve a mass and a spring?

Or if that doesn't help, what other quantities might be conserved, as well as momentum?

Also did you mean a "frictional surface", or is that a typo for a "frictionless surface"?

Yes, the spring has no mass, and the other end is fixed.

I copied and pasted the question, but since he didn't give any coefficient of friction, I'm going to assume he meant frictionless.

The total energy of the system would be conserved. So I tried kx^2 = mv^2, solved for x, and got 0.706 meters (which was the correct answer).

But then I'm not sure what to do for the second part (where I try calculating how long it would take for the spring to compress). I was initially going to use F = kx, solving for F, and then using F*t = m*v to calculate the time it takes to compress the spring, but I tried that, and the program said the answer was wrong.

Then I tried solving for the acceleration (or deceleration, rather), using ma = kx, and then substituting it into the formula x = vit + 0.5at^2, but that didn't work.

Last edited:

1. What is mass colliding with a spring (fixed speed)?

Mass colliding with a spring (fixed speed) is a physical phenomenon where a mass moving at a constant speed collides with a spring, causing the spring to compress and then expand back to its original shape.

2. How does mass affect the collision with a spring?

The mass of the object colliding with the spring affects the amount of energy transferred during the collision. A larger mass will transfer more energy to the spring, causing it to compress more compared to a smaller mass colliding with the same spring with the same speed.

3. What is the role of the spring in this collision?

The spring acts as a medium for energy transfer during the collision. It absorbs the kinetic energy from the colliding mass and stores it as potential energy when it compresses. As the spring expands back to its original shape, the potential energy is converted back to kinetic energy, causing the mass to bounce off the spring.

4. Why is the speed of the mass fixed in this scenario?

The fixed speed of the mass allows for a controlled and consistent collision with the spring. This ensures that the same amount of energy is transferred each time, making it easier to study and analyze the effects of mass and spring characteristics on the collision.

5. How does the stiffness of the spring affect the collision?

The stiffness of the spring, also known as its spring constant, determines how much force is needed to compress the spring. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer, and it will require more force to compress it. This will result in a larger compression of the spring and a higher rebound speed for the mass during the collision.