1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass Given Density Function and Area

1. Mar 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A quarter disc of radius 3 cm lies in the first quadrant. The areal density is (1.2 g/cm3)x + (0.7 g/cm3)y. Determine the mass of this object.

2. Relevant equations

1_1.png

3. The attempt at a solution

For my bounds:
    x: 0 to 3
    y: 0 to Sqrt[3 - x^2]

2_1.png

When I took this integral I got 2.07846 + 5.87878 I, which is obviously an imaginary number. Any idea how to get a real number? I'm not sure where I'm going wrong-- I thought this was simple calculus 2.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2016 #2
    UPDATE: I have converted to polar coordinates, giving density = 1.2 r Cos[theta]+ 0.7 r Sin[theta]. Then I solved the following integral:

3_1.png

This gave me 8.55 g which was incorrect. Where am I going wrong?

4. Mar 26, 2016 #3
    Your bound for y is wrong, draw a diagram with your bounds (e.g. y as a function of x) and you'll see that's not the bounds of a circle quadrant. Hint: the relation is x^2 + y^2 = 3^2

5. Mar 27, 2016 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you check the units of your expression, you'll see that they don't work out. Your mistake is in the area element for polar coordinates.

6. Mar 27, 2016 #5
    UPDATE NO. 2:

I figured it out.

they.png

7. Mar 27, 2016 #6
    Thank you everyone for your help :)

8. Mar 27, 2016 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You stumbled onto the correct answer, but your work isn't correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted