Mass of a rubber stopper being swung in a horizontal circle

In summary, the rubber stopper swings in a horizontal circle with a radius of 0.45m, and the period increases with increasing radius. The mass of the stopper is 12.7 grams.
CharlesDerpwin

Homework Statement

Homework Statement [/b]
The purpose of this lab is to determine the mass of a rubber stopper being swung in a horizontal circle.

I made an apparatus that resembles the picture attached, with a string (with a rubber stopper on one end, and a weight on the other end) put through a tube. I whirl the tube above my head so that a horizontal circle is made by the stopper.

The radius was increased from 0.25m, to 0.45m, to 0.65m, to 0.85m.
This increased the period of the stopper's circular motion, 0.330s, 0.37575s, 0.45925s, 0.50625s, respectively.

The lab requires me to draw graph of my results, with period squared in order to straighten the graph, and calculate the mass of the stopper using the slope of my graph

Homework Equations

Fc=4(pi)2mr/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

using the equation 4(pi)2mr/T2, I rearranged it and found that r is proportional to t2, as everything else in this experiment is supposed to be constant.

Graphing the radius and period2, the slope of the line of best fit was 0.25555555s2/m.

Now this is where I'm not sure what to do, using the slope to find the mass of the stopper.

Thanks for reading this and I hope you can help me out

Attachments

• ucm_app.gif
    ucm_app.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 2,685
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you know the value of the weight you used that is at the end of the string. The radial force, is of course, equal to this weight ##w##. So you can write $$r = \frac{w}{4\pi^2 m} T^2$$. The slope you calculated is equal to ##\frac{w}{4\pi^2 m}## where you can get the mass you're looking for.

yeahgene said:
I assume you know the value of the weight you used that is at the end of the string. The radial force, is of course, equal to this weight ##w##. So you can write $$r = \frac{w}{4\pi^2 m} T^2$$. The slope you calculated is equal to ##\frac{w}{4\pi^2 m}## where you can get the mass you're looking for.

So, in your equations, W is the force of gravity on the hanging weight, which is also the centripetal force on the stopper?

I was, in fact, given the mass of the hanging weight, 200g

In that case, 0.200kg x 9.81m/s2 = 1.962N
Now 1.962N is my Fg and also Fc, I can put it in this as W in ##\frac{w}{4\pi^2 m}##, this expression is equal to my slope of 0.255555555, and i solve from there
##0.255555555=\frac{1.962}{4\pi^2 m}##
giving me a mass of 0.194470594kg?

To be clear, the centripetal acceleration is equal to the tension on the string, the tension in the string is equal to the force due to the gravity on the hanging weight.

Does a mass of 0.1945 kg or 194.5 g for the rubber stopper makes sense? Which implies it is as massive as the weight.

Likes 1 person
yeahgene said:
To be clear, the centripetal acceleration is equal to the tension on the string, the tension in the string is equal to the force due to the gravity on the hanging weight.

Does a mass of 0.1945 kg or 194.5 g for the rubber stopper makes sense? Which implies it is as massive as the weight.

ahh, of course that mass makes no sense. The equation should be more like
##\frac{1}{0.2555555555}=\frac{1.962}{4\pi^2 m}##
I forgot that the slope is really ##\frac{0.2555555555s^2}{1m}##
Now I can manipulate the equations:
##m=\frac{(1.962)(0.2555555555)}{4\pi^2}##
so the mass of the stopper = 0.0127006104kg, or 12.7 grams

Much more reasonable, and as a matter of fact, I weighed the stopper and it was 12.67g!

Thanks so much for the help!

What is the mass of a rubber stopper being swung in a horizontal circle?

The mass of a rubber stopper being swung in a horizontal circle depends on the specific stopper being used. It can range from a few grams to several kilograms.

How does the mass of a rubber stopper affect its motion when being swung in a horizontal circle?

The mass of a rubber stopper does not directly affect its motion when being swung in a horizontal circle. However, a heavier stopper may require more force to keep it moving in a circular path.

What is the relationship between the mass of a rubber stopper and its centripetal force when being swung in a horizontal circle?

The mass of a rubber stopper does not directly affect its centripetal force when being swung in a horizontal circle. However, a heavier stopper may require a stronger centripetal force to keep it moving in a circular path.

How can the mass of a rubber stopper be measured accurately?

The mass of a rubber stopper can be measured using a scale or balance. It is important to make sure the stopper is dry and does not have any other objects attached to it before measuring its mass.

Why is the mass of a rubber stopper important in experiments involving circular motion?

The mass of a rubber stopper is important in experiments involving circular motion because it affects the amount of force needed to keep the stopper moving in a circular path. It can also impact the accuracy and precision of the results in the experiment.