1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion Lab with Hanging Mass - Trying To Find Centripetal Force

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area, I am relatively new.

Circular Motion Lab is set up like this to study circular motion:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:lG3nvirsnOYJ:www.hwscience.com/Physics/regphysics/Lab%2520Handouts/Circ.%2520motion%2520LAB.pdf+circular+motion+hanging+mass&hl=en&gl=ca&sig=AHIEtbTBHCVNZxCFmkJyfcwpOLkbKJl59w [Broken]

Rubber stopper is secured to string .4m long, and is spun horizontally and achieves period of 0.56275s. The hanging mass is 0.03kg. The mass of the stopper is unknown.

I figured out that Centripetal velocity is 4.466m/s.

The vertical forces is Fnet = Ft - Fg

Ft= Fnet + Fg
    Ft = m(a + g)
    Ft= 0.03 (9.81)
    Ft= 0.2943

The horizontal forces are Fc = Ft
    Fc= 0.2943 N !!!!!!!!!!

Is this done RIGHT to FIND the centripetal FORCE of the rubber STOPPER?
    Please explain if I am wrong...

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You must consider the angle of droop in your force diagram. Tension is certainly not a vertical force - it is PARTLY vertical and partly horizontal. You'll have sin A and cos A in your expressions when you separate T into horizontal and vertical parts.
    circular.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook