Mass on a spring inside a box falling under gravity

In summary, the problem involves a mass attached to a spring inside a falling box. The spring has a constant k and the mass is m. The goal is to find the equation of motion and initial conditions for when the box is falling and when it has landed. Using Lagrangian equations, the kinetic energy is equal to half of the mass times the velocity squared, while the potential energy is equal to the mass times the acceleration due to gravity times the distance plus half of the spring constant times the distance squared. Before landing, the box and mass will have constant downward acceleration of g, with initial conditions of zero displacement and velocity. Upon impact, the box will no longer move and the mass will have zero displacement and velocity. The initial
naggy

Homework Statement

A mass m is attached to a spring(massless) that is located inside a massless box. The box is falling under gravity. When the box starts to fall the spring is in it's equilibrium position and the box sticks to the ground when it hits it.

-The box is a distance H from the ground
-Spring has spring constant k
-The mass on the spring is m
Find the equation of motion (and initial conditions) when
a)the box is falling and
b)when the box has landed.

Variables
x is movement from equilibrium position of spring
y is distance from ground to mass

Homework Equations

[tex]L=KE - PE[/tex]
or
[tex]F=m\ddot{x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I prefer using Lagrangian equations. When the box is falling:
[tex]KE= \frac{1}{2}m\dot{x^2}[/tex]
[tex]PE= mgy +\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

Now can I connect y(distance from the ground to m) and x(movement from equilibrium position of mass) with y=constant + x and use the Euler lagrange equations?

I'm also not sure on intial conditions, it would be x(0)=0 and x'(0)=0 for the first eq. of motion

when the box lands, maybe x(tH)=H and x'(tH)=sqrt(2gH) ??

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think you're on the right track.. i would spilt it up to look at before & after impact separately

so define
x - spring extension
y - distance base of spring zero to ground
then z = x + y is distance from ground to mass

so say time of impact is t0

before landing everything is accelerating downward at g
so
x(t<t0)=0
x'(t<t0)=0
and
PE = my'^{2}/2
KE = mgy

directly before impact find
v0 = z'(t0) = y'(t0)

then inatantly after impact the box no longer moves
y(t>t0) = 0
y'(t>t0) = 0

and the intial conditions of the mass are
x(t0) = 0
x'(t0) = v0

what about the Potential energy of the spring?

And what is base of spring? Y is distance base to spring? Do you mean the springs equilibrium position?

hey naggy

the way i set it up y was the springs equilibirum position, howvere you can set it up howvver you like. i didn't write down the final energy equations, so you need to include the PE of the spring & gravitational PE in the final section

the main thing to realize is beofre landing everything will have constant downward acceleration of g.

when the box strikes it will have intially total energy in the form of KE of the spring. this will then oscillate between spring PE & mass KE, with some gravitational PE.

you can make life easier for yourself by choosing a spring equilibrium position that essentially removes the complication of gravity PE (where does the spring sit under gravitational force of math)

something that is bothering me

When the the box is falling:

[tex]\ddot{z}=-g[/tex] but I don´t know the initial conditions here? z=x+y but I don´t know the height up to the mass I only know the height to the bottom of the box?

naggy said:
something that is bothering me

When the the box is falling:

[tex]\ddot{z}=-g[/tex] but I don´t know the initial conditions here? z=x+y but I don´t know the height up to the mass I only know the height to the bottom of the box?

But does the spring oscillate at all during the flight down?

I would say no, in an idealised free fall acceleration of the box spring and mass will all be identical under gravity, so there will be nothing to cause relative motion, that is until the box lands & sticks

unless you are given something different in the initial conditions, this is how I would approach the problem

1. How does the mass affect the motion of a spring inside a box?

The mass on a spring inside a box will affect the amplitude and period of the oscillation. A larger mass will result in a smaller amplitude and longer period, while a smaller mass will result in a larger amplitude and shorter period.

2. Does the gravity acting on the box affect the motion of the spring?

Yes, the gravity acting on the box will affect the motion of the spring inside. The force of gravity will act on the mass and cause it to accelerate downwards, which in turn will affect the oscillation of the spring.

3. How does the spring constant affect the motion of the mass?

The spring constant, k, determines the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant will result in a shorter period and smaller amplitude, while a lower spring constant will result in a longer period and larger amplitude.

4. What is the equilibrium position of the mass on a spring inside a box?

The equilibrium position of the mass on a spring inside a box is the point where the net force on the mass is zero. In other words, it is the position where the spring is neither stretched nor compressed and the mass is at rest.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of the mass on a spring inside a box?

Air resistance can affect the motion of the mass on a spring inside a box in two ways. First, it can decrease the amplitude of the oscillation by dissipating energy. Second, it can also slightly alter the period of the oscillation by creating a drag force on the mass as it moves through the air.