Mass slipping on a moving inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between two bodies, A and B, on an inclined plane with an angle of slope α and a coefficient of friction μ. It is mentioned that in order for body A to not slip on body B, body B must be accelerated with a certain amount a. The conversation then asks about the minimum and maximum acceleration required for body A to not slip, as well as the results if the slope angle α is 0 or 90°. However, there is disagreement on the equations used to determine the required acceleration, with questions about the coefficients of the a term and potential consequences of a being too small or too large.
york
Poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
Hey everyone, i run across this quastion and i don't know hot to find the min and max of a
Relevant Equations
Fk = miu*N
Body A rests on a inclined plane of body B . the angle of slope is α , the coefficient of friction between the two bodies is μ . Body A does not slip on body B because we accelerate body B with a. What is the minimum and maximum acceleration required for body A not to slip? What will be the results if the slope angle α is 0? What will be the results if the slope angle α is 90°?

Attachments

• 1635990376551.jpg
    1635990376551.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 73
Physics news on Phys.org
Per forum rules, you must show some attempt.

you right, sorry.
this is what i did, but i got a expression for a but i don't know how to find the min and max

Attachments

• 1636001926493.jpg
    1636001926493.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 69
york said:
you right, sorry.
this is what i did, but i got a expression for a but i don't know how to find the min and max
I disagree with your first equation ("N+..."), and with the RHS of the third one. In each case, it's the coefficient of the a term I question.

Re min and max, what may happen if a is too small? What if a is too large?

haruspex said:
I disagree with your first equation ("N+..."), and with the RHS of the third one. In each case, it's the coefficient of the a term I question.

Re min and max, what may happen if a is too small? What if a is too large?
if a is too amall the block A will slide down, and if a is too large i think the block will severed from the plane backward

york said:
the block will severed from the plane backward
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by that.

What about the errors in the equations? Please explain how you get those terms.

1. What is the cause of mass slipping on a moving inclined plane?

The main cause of mass slipping on a moving inclined plane is the force of gravity. As the mass moves down the incline, gravity pulls it towards the ground, causing it to slip and slide down the slope.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect mass slipping?

The angle of the incline plays a significant role in mass slipping. The steeper the incline, the greater the force of gravity pulling the mass down, making it more likely to slip. A shallower incline will have less of an effect on the mass.

3. Can the surface of the incline impact mass slipping?

Yes, the surface of the incline can impact mass slipping. A rough or uneven surface can provide more friction, making it less likely for the mass to slip. A smooth surface, on the other hand, will have less friction and may cause the mass to slip more easily.

4. How does the mass of the object affect slipping on a moving inclined plane?

The mass of the object does not have a significant impact on slipping on a moving inclined plane. However, a heavier mass may have more inertia, making it more difficult to stop once it starts slipping down the incline.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect mass slipping on a moving inclined plane?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect mass slipping on a moving inclined plane. These include the force of air resistance, the shape and size of the mass, and the speed at which it is moving down the incline.