Do I need to convert grams to kilograms for a mass vs. period experiment?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
chroncile
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I did an experiment of mass vs. period and I got the mass in (g)rams and the period in seconds. My question is, do I have to convert the mass from grams to kilograms?


Homework Equations


N / A


The Attempt at a Solution


N / A
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Kilo could be thought of as 1000.

Kilogram>Gram, you want your number to decrease not get bigger.

Grams / 1000 = Kilograms

1000 grams / 1000 = 1kilogram
 
Okay, that doesn't answer my question though; I was asking if it's necessary to convert the mass from (g) to (kg) for the data in the lab report.
 
chroncile said:

Homework Statement


I did an experiment of mass vs. period and I got the mass in (g)rams and the period in seconds. My question is, do I have to convert the mass from grams to kilograms?


Homework Equations


N / A


The Attempt at a Solution


N / A
Mass vs. period of what? A pendulum or a spring-mass system? It makes a difference. What is the equation that gives the period for your system?
 
A spring-mass system. The equation is T = km^0.5 where k is a constant. The value of k differs if the mass is in grams or kilograms. That's why I need to know what to put mass as so that I get the right answer.
 
Thank you so much :smile:

..Wait a minute "I know one thing - that I know no thing.". What?
 
I need help again, the equation I found was T = 1.12 * x^0.5

Do I write it as T = 1.12 * x^0.5 or T = 1.12 * sqrt0.5
 
You write it as

[tex]T=1.12*\sqrt{x}[/tex]
or
[tex]T=1.12*x^{1/2}[/tex]