1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass - What makes something have it?

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Hello;

What is mass? For example, a photon has no mass, because it does not react with the Higgs field (is this the only reason)? Why does mass exist?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2
    Mass can be converted into energy and visa versa. So there is a clue here. I suppose you just need to answer the question 'What is the difference between matter and energy?'

4. Mar 17, 2010 #3

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

So if something has energy it has mass, by E=mc^2, right? Okay...

5. Mar 17, 2010 #4
    No not entirely true. Something can have energy but no 'effective' mass , photons for example (some of the time). To have mass the energy equivalence has to have either an element of spin (matter) or an acceleration/deceleration. Don't quote me on that but that's how I see it.

6. Mar 17, 2010 #5

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

So does a photon have no mass because it does not interact with the Higgs field?

Is that the same with the hypothetical graviton too?

7. Mar 17, 2010 #6
    I'm not totally sure, but assuming the Higgs field is real I would say that it must interact with it. It gives then takes away with the net result of zero - it's an oscillation thing :smile:.

In so far that the hypothetical graviton will have anything to do with gravity , more than any other virtual particle, is remote. Disclaimer : here again, please don't take my word for it, I think all this a bit on the edge of current knowlege.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook