1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Massachusetts Physics Internship?

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    Does anyone know where I would be able to get a physics internship in massachusetts or anywhere relatively close by? (i.e. New England, New York, Pennsylvania etc) It would be greatly appreciated if anyone had an information.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2

4. Dec 15, 2008 #3
    so this just for undergrads, not highschool kids? because I'm only a junior :(
  5. Dec 15, 2008 #4
    How much physics have you taken? One of the reasons high-school kids aren't typically chosen for this stuff is because they wouldn't understand what is going on because they don't have the necessary background. But I don't know how much you know.

2 summers ago I did research over the summer and there was a high-school kid there that had just graduated and was about to be a freshman. But I haven't seen anybody younger than that.
  6. Dec 15, 2008 #5
    Well I am in AP-Physics, which is a college course basically. I also read heavily on the subject, and am active on these boards. So maybe if I could possibly prove my worth to them? Why not! Thank you for your information!
  7. Dec 16, 2008 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

This will be difficult, because you are still a minor. There are hazards in a laboratory, and the workplace regulations and restrictions for minors are very, very strict, I'm afraid. While I am not saying it's impossible, I am saying the vast majority of employers will simply say, "let him or her apply next year for next year's position".
  8. Dec 16, 2008 #7

I think it will be tough to find an opportunity as a high school student. You'd be competing with undergrads who have taken more math, physics, computer science, possibly already have research experience, and need the position more. You might look into the NASA Summer School for high school students; I think they do some basic research. Or see if any of your teachers know a grad student who could use an assistant for the summer. The real problem is how much training goes into getting someone to the point where they can be productive, and the less college they've had the more training they'll need. Even freshmen in college often have trouble getting a position.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?