Massless representations of the Poincare group

In summary, the conversation discusses the operator W_0 which is defined as the product of the momentum operator P and the angular momentum operator J. When applied to vector | p \rangle, it yields P_3 J_3 | p \rangle, with J_3 being a generator of the "little group" that leaves the vector invariant. This can also be expressed as P_3 \lambda| p \rangle = p_0 \lambda| p \rangle, where \lambda represents the helicity. The conversation also mentions looking at Weinberg's "The quantum theory of fields" for further understanding.
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Never mind, I answered my own question...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By definition

[tex] W_0 = \mathbf{P} \cdot \mathbf{J} [/tex]

Applying this operator to [itex]| p \rangle [/itex] we obtain

[tex] W_0 | p \rangle = P_3 J_3 | p \rangle [/tex]

[itex]J_3 [/itex] is a generator of the "little group" which leaves this vector invariant (up to a constant factor), so (see eq. (2.5.39) in Weinberg's "The quantum theory of fields")

[tex] W_0 | p \rangle = P_3 \lambda| p \rangle = p_0 \lambda| p \rangle [/tex]

where [itex] \lambda[/itex] is helicity.

meopemuk said:
By definition

[tex] W_0 = \mathbf{P} \cdot \mathbf{J} [/tex]

Applying this operator to [itex]| p \rangle [/itex] we obtain

[tex] W_0 | p \rangle = P_3 J_3 | p \rangle [/tex]

[itex]J_3 [/itex] is a generator of the "little group" which leaves this vector invariant (up to a constant factor), so (see eq. (2.5.39) in Weinberg's "The quantum theory of fields")

[tex] W_0 | p \rangle = P_3 \lambda| p \rangle = p_0 \lambda| p \rangle [/tex]

where [itex] \lambda[/itex] is helicity.
Thank you. My problem was in convincing myself that J_3 leaves the state invariant. I will look at Weinberg when I can

Thanks again

1. What is the Poincare group?

The Poincare group is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the symmetries of spacetime. It includes translations, rotations, and boosts (changes in velocity) and is a fundamental part of the theory of relativity.

2. What are massless representations?

Massless representations refer to particles that have zero mass. In physics, particles are classified as either massive or massless, and this distinction has important implications for their behavior and interactions.

3. How do massless representations relate to the Poincare group?

Massless representations are a subset of the Poincare group, specifically the representations that describe particles with zero mass. This means that they exhibit the same symmetries as the Poincare group, including translations, rotations, and boosts.

4. What is the significance of massless representations in physics?

Massless representations are important in physics because they include particles such as photons, which are the carriers of electromagnetic energy and play a crucial role in many physical phenomena. They also have special properties, such as traveling at the speed of light, that make them essential to our understanding of the universe.

5. How are massless representations studied and used in physics?

Massless representations are studied and used in physics through various theoretical and experimental approaches. Theoretical physicists use mathematical models and equations to describe the behavior of massless particles, while experimental physicists use particle accelerators and other tools to observe and measure the properties of these particles in action.