Master of physics after bachelor in computer engineering

In summary, the individual in the conversation is a 31-year-old computer engineer who has recently discovered a passion for physics. They are wondering if they can apply for a masters in physics and what subjects they may need to cover from their bachelor's degree. They also express concern about feeling behind and unsure if this is the right career move since they are already working as a computer engineer. They also inquire about the ease of continuing to a PhD after completing a masters. They have been advised to refer to a specific forum for more information.
FayezS
Hello Guys,

I am a computer engineer (B.Sc in Computer Engineering)
I am 31 years old now.

After this period, I discovered that I want to study physics not computer engineering.

i want to ask you if i can now apply for masters of physics ? and if so, what subjects should i have before the master to cover the bachelor things that i missed.
i feel behind and i don't know how to catch up.
i also don't know if this is a right step in my life since I am working already as a computer engineer.

aslo, if I am done with the masters would it be easy to continue for PHD ?

advise me please ...

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the benefit of pursuing a Master of Physics after completing a Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering?

Pursuing a Master of Physics after a Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering can provide a well-rounded education and a wider range of career opportunities. It allows you to combine your knowledge of computer engineering with the principles of physics, making you more versatile and marketable in the job market.

2. Can I pursue a Master of Physics with a background in computer engineering?

Yes, you can pursue a Master of Physics with a background in computer engineering. While some programs may require a certain level of knowledge in physics, many offer introductory courses to help bridge the gap for students coming from a different background.

3. What skills can I gain from a Master of Physics that will be useful in the field of computer engineering?

A Master of Physics can equip you with skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis, which are highly sought after in the field of computer engineering. You will also gain a deeper understanding of the principles of physics, which can be applied to various aspects of computer engineering, such as electronics and programming.

4. Is a Master of Physics after a Bachelor's in computer engineering a popular career path?

While it is not as common as pursuing a Master's degree in computer engineering, it is still a popular career path for those interested in both fields. Many universities offer joint programs or allow students to customize their courses to combine both computer engineering and physics. Additionally, there is a growing demand for professionals with a diverse skill set in the tech industry.

5. Can a Master of Physics help me advance my career in computer engineering?

Yes, a Master of Physics can help you advance your career in computer engineering. It can open up opportunities for higher-level positions, such as research and development roles, or management positions in industries that require a strong understanding of both fields. It can also provide a competitive edge when applying for jobs in the tech industry.