Master's Degree in physics after Bachelor in MIS

Hello all,
This is my first thread in this forum, and I would like to ask some questions about Master's degree in physics.
My Bachelor degree was in Management Information System (Which I didn't achieve in USA), and I would like to apply for Master's degree in Physics in USA.
All I need to know, what are the prerequisites? And if there would be needed courses? or just tests to make sure I know enough for Master's degree?

Thank you in advance for your help. It's much appreciated.

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
You may want to start by reading this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

The possible caveat here is that, in some schools, especially smaller ones with only a terminal Masters degree program, the qualifying exams may not be as extensive, or even required.

Zz.

You may want to start by reading this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966
Thank you ZapperZ so much for answering. But is there a possible way to get the GRE exam online (as I'm not in USA yet) to make sure which level required to roll into a Master's degree?

The possible caveat here is that, in some schools, especially smaller ones with only a terminal Masters degree program, the qualifying exams may not be as extensive, or even required.

Zz.
So, I can study on my own and get into a certain level to roll into a Master's degree in some school without requiring qualifying exam?! That would be good. But is it real? And where could I find such schools?

You need to know enough physics to read this https://www.amazon.com/dp/047130932X/?tag=pfamazon01-20&tag=pfamazon01-20 , among other graduate physics texts. Which is to say, you pretty much need two semesters each in junior/senior level classical mechanics, statistical mechanics/thermal physics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism.
Do I need an academic study as a proof for knowledge? Or can I just study on my own and apply for a qualifying exam?

Last edited by a moderator:
fss
Thank you ZapperZ so much for answering. But is there a possible way to get the GRE exam online (as I'm not in USA yet) to make sure which level required to roll into a Master's degree?
Practice GRE exams can be found via Amazon (or your country's equivalent) and at test-preparation centers. The actual exam cannot be taken online; it is administered in a registered testing center.

So, I can study on my own and get into a certain level to roll into a Master's degree in some school without requiring qualifying exam?! That would be good. But is it real? And where could I find such schools?
Probably not, but it depends on that institution's admissions policies. You'd have to look around yourself.

Do I need an academic study as a proof for knowledge? Or can I just study on my own and apply for a qualifying exam?
See above.