1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Mastering DiffyQ and linear Algebra

1. Sep 19, 2015 #1
    What are some books that I can use master DiffyQ and linear algebra ? I want to improve significantly in E&M and quantum mechanics. I understand that I have to practice, practice, and practice , but can you provided me with with some advice ? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2015 #2
  4. Sep 21, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

5. Sep 21, 2015 #4

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I agree with this recommendation, provided the OP is looking for a treatment of the basics. It is written in a very clear style by, in fact, a solid functional analyst. However, I would say that by itself it does not provide all of the mathematical apparatus needed for a thorough treatment of E&M and QM. For this, more is needed.

6. Sep 22, 2015 #5
    Why not Jefferson's free book? It's really good, goes pretty far, too. Maybe not as far as the top level Linear Algebra books, but at least enough for what OP wants. It even has some application problems, well, alot of problems in general, and the solutions manual is up there too.

7. Sep 22, 2015 #6

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Maybe it's good to point out that, at least in my opinion, for a good understanding of the formalism of E&M and (in particular) QM, familiarity with linear algebra is necessary but not sufficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted