Introductory Linear Algebra Texts

In summary, the person is currently studying Multivariate Calculus and is in need of a Linear Algebra book to help with their undergraduate physics curriculum. They mention owning Axler's Linear Algebra Done Right, but feel it may be too theoretical and lacking in applications and computation. They are looking for recommendations for an introductory book and suggest taking a course in Linear Algebra if possible. Jason recommends a free book by Hefferon as a good option.
Demandish
I am currently enrolled in Multivariate Calculus and am looking to get build up a solid base of mathematics for undergraduate physics curriculum. I am looking for a Linear algebra book that will aid me in my quest. I currently own Axler's Linear Algebra Done Right, but I fear it is too theoretical with lack of applications and computation. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really like Axler's book, but for many of us it is too advanced for a first exposure to linear algebra. If it is too difficult for you, then there are many "standard" intro books that would probably work fine. One good free book is by Hefferon
https://hefferon.net/linearalgebra/

In any case, I recommend you actually take a course in linear algebra if at all possible.

jason

Likes vanhees71

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, linear transformations, and their properties. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and to represent and manipulate geometric objects such as vectors and matrices.

2. Who is Linear Algebra for?

Linear Algebra is a fundamental subject in mathematics and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is suitable for anyone who wants to understand and apply mathematical concepts to solve real-world problems.

3. What are the basic concepts covered in an introductory Linear Algebra text?

Some of the basic concepts covered in an introductory Linear Algebra text include vector operations, systems of linear equations, matrices, determinants, vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and applications of linear algebra.

4. What are the benefits of studying Linear Algebra?

Studying Linear Algebra can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides a strong foundation for advanced mathematics courses and is essential for many fields such as data science, machine learning, and computer graphics.

5. What are some recommended introductory Linear Algebra texts?

Some popular introductory Linear Algebra texts include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole. It is recommended to choose a text that aligns with your learning style and goals.