Mastering Indefinite Integration: Tips for Solving (sin(x))/x Without Tricks

• Thread starter voomdama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, there is no elementary solution for integrating (sin(x))/x, but there is a function called SinIntegral(x) defined by this integral. The only possible solution is to write out sin(x) as an infinite series, divide by x, and integrate to get the infinite series representation of it.
voomdama
I am trying to integrate (sin(x))/x It's an indefinite integral I can't think of any tricks to work this out

Physics news on Phys.org
voomdama said:
I am trying to integrate (sin(x))/x It's an indefinite integral I can't think of any tricks to work this out

It has no elementry solution.

There is a function however called SinIntegral(x) that is defined by this very integral: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SineIntegral.html

The most I can guess is to write out sin(x) as the infinite series and divide by x and integrate

[tex]sinx=\sum_{n=0} ^\infty \frac{(-1)^n x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex]

then [itex]\frac{sinx}{x}[/itex] will become

[tex]\sum_{n=0} ^\infty \frac{(-1)^n x^{2n}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex]

Integrate this w.r.t.x and you'll get the infinite series representation of it

Related to Mastering Indefinite Integration: Tips for Solving (sin(x))/x Without Tricks

1. What does it mean to "need help integrating"?

Integrating refers to the process of combining different elements or components into a cohesive whole. When someone says they need help integrating, it typically means they need assistance in merging or incorporating various parts or ideas together.

2. What are some common challenges when trying to integrate different elements?

Some common challenges when integrating include compatibility issues, conflicting ideas or approaches, and difficulty in finding a seamless way to combine the elements. It can also be challenging to prioritize and determine the best way to integrate each component.

3. How can I effectively integrate different elements?

The key to effective integration is to have a clear understanding of the elements you are working with and their purpose. Then, carefully consider the best way to combine them, taking into account any potential challenges or conflicts. Communication and collaboration with others involved in the integration process can also greatly aid in finding a successful solution.

4. What are the benefits of successful integration?

Successful integration can lead to a more efficient and streamlined process or system, as well as improved functionality and performance. It can also result in a more cohesive and comprehensive end product, as all elements are working together seamlessly.

5. How can I get help with integrating?

If you are struggling with integrating different elements, it can be helpful to reach out to experts or professionals in the field. You can also seek guidance from colleagues or peers who may have experience with similar integration processes. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums available for seeking advice and assistance with integration.