1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master's and Ph.Ds in UK and Europe.

1. Jul 14, 2012 #1
    Hi guys,

I have a question regarding postgraduate degrees in the UK and Europe, particularly Master's.

If you do a master's, do you take any coursework or classes related to your specialty?

I can't take any relativity classes or fluid mechanics classes as part of my undergrad. I don't know yet, but i'm terrified that I won't have the option to do a postgrad in these areas.

I like the US system where you do classes and then research, but as far as I know, in the UK and Europe, research begins immediately.

If anyone could shed light on this I would be most appreciative, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2012 #2
    I don't know about the programs in Europe, but I wouldn't say the US system is as you've described... at first the research will be lighter, while you're taking classes, but you're still expected to be doing some research... especially for a master's with thesis, the entire program will only be about 2 years, so you need to start the research fairly early on.

4. Jul 14, 2012 #3
    As far as I know, PhDs are research, and MScs can either be taught or research - you chose. If you want to go into those fields and you haven't had any teaching I'd suggest finding a taught MSc in that area.

5. Jul 14, 2012 #4
    There are both M.Sci which are coursework and M.Res which are research (like mini doctorates).

It should say at the institution which one is which. M.Res will have no coursework, M.Sci will be all coursework (usually)

6. Jul 14, 2012 #5
    As far as I gather, in Germany at least, Masters are one year of courses, another year doing strictly research. There may be variations of this in different places. But I've talked to several students who are doing specifically what I mentioned. PhD would then be after the MS and is strictly research.

But beware, in Germany MS's are not funded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook