1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Masters before PhD improving chances of admission?

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I graduated from MIT in June as a double in physics and ChemE, but with a GPA of 3.1/4. I'm published and I have research experience, but my GPA still doesn't measure up to what I've seen other physics majors compete with. Add to that I'm in the navy and won't be able to start a PhD until 2013. I was thinking about doing a masters in applied physics (no thesis) at Johns Hopkins while I'm in the navy. Do you think better academic performance as a masters student would compensate for my low-ish GPA?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2008 #2
    Your recent academic performance - good or bad - is usually given much stronger weight than older data. Take that FWIW. If nothing else, it could give you an immediate route for continuing your education.

4. Jul 10, 2008 #3
    If you do really well in your Masters program, it'll show PhD programs that you are able to handle graduate level courses. That, along with research experience, should improve your chances.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?