Master's in Engineering: Guidance

In summary, if you want to be successful in a graduate program, don't focus on getting good grades; focus on learning everything and doing enough to get a good grade. Be competitive, but don't let the competition get to you.
justin22
Hello,

I am about to start my Master's in Mechanical Engineering. My specialized field of study will be in alternative energy. I completed my undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering at the same university. I decided to stay at the same university due to the funding opportunities and since I am very familiar and interested in my supervisors's research. I was wondering if anyone has any tips, suggestions, or life experiences that they would like to discuss to ease the transition from an undergraduate to a graduate program.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the biggest advice is to change your focus. Now you're trying to learn as much as you can, so doing enough to get a good grade isn't good enough. This is your chance to really get a broad grounding in your field, so take advantage of it!

When I was in grad school I treated it like a 60 hour/week job. The people who treated more like classes to be passed weren't as successful.

Good luck!

Likes 1 person
I always summarized it like this:

Undergraduate is where I learned the mechanics of thinking analytically and how to solve problems.

Graduate (Master's) is where I learned how to learn independently. It was nearly (but not quite) like being thrown a textbook and told to go learn it myself. It is where I experienced my brain re-wiring itself one Sunday afternoon during heavy studying when the "scales fell from my eyes" and the problem just clarified itself magically and became very simple. Very strange, but loved it.

It's a double-time job, maybe even triple-time sometimes. Crazy hours, because that is what was required to do all the work & studying in order to get A's on everything.

None of my classmates were ever "second" at any academic task, so it was very competitive (almost cut-throat in some instances). Example: I had burned the oil & completed a very challenging homework assignment. It turns out, I was the only one. At class time, there were a bunch of crybabies that complained it was too hard, so the professor did not take it up for credit. I asked, since I had completed it, may I turn it in for extra credit. The entire class went beserk and became furious at me for that. But I got the extra credit, and also made the only "A" grade in the class.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a Master's in Engineering degree?

A Master's in Engineering degree is a graduate-level program that focuses on advanced topics in the field of engineering. It builds upon the foundational knowledge and skills gained during a bachelor's degree and provides students with specialized training and expertise in a particular area of engineering.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a Master's in Engineering?

Pursuing a Master's in Engineering can lead to many benefits, including career advancement, higher salary potential, and increased job opportunities. It also allows for specialization in a specific area of engineering, which can lead to more challenging and intellectually stimulating work.

3. What are the different types of Master's in Engineering programs?

There are several types of Master's in Engineering programs, including Master of Science (MS) programs, Master of Engineering (MEng) programs, and Master of Applied Science (MASc) programs. MS programs are research-oriented and typically require a thesis, while MEng programs are more practice-oriented and may require a capstone project. MASc programs are similar to MS programs but typically have a stronger focus on applied research.

4. What are the admission requirements for a Master's in Engineering program?

Admission requirements for a Master's in Engineering program vary depending on the university and specific program. Generally, applicants will need to have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, a competitive GPA, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require GRE scores and/or relevant work experience.

5. How long does it take to complete a Master's in Engineering program?

The length of a Master's in Engineering program can vary depending on the type of program, the university, and whether a student attends full-time or part-time. On average, it takes 1-2 years to complete a full-time program and 2-3 years to complete a part-time program. Some programs also offer accelerated options that can be completed in as little as one year.