1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master's Program in Engineering Help

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    I need some advice, so I'm getting it from everywhere I can.

I'm a third-semester master's student in mechanical engineering. I've done well up to this point, but I took a fluids dynamics test yesterday that is sure to be a disaster when it comes to the grade. It was not hard, but I made mistakes that I normally wouldn't make (mainly solving some of the differential equations. They were easy DE's, too.).

I haven't been able to sleep last night or this morning just thinking about the possible grade. It looks like a 60 or a 65 are most likely. Since the test wasn't hard, I'm pretty sure I'll be below average.

What do I do? I don't want to make rash decisions without having the test back or before the semester ends to see where I am, but I feel sick just thinking about it. I've talked to family members and friends, and even though those talks helped, I still feel sick.

In fact, I feel sick just thinking about the mistakes I made. After I submitted the test, I was able to work out the problems correctly on my own. It's frustrating to know that I can fail this test not because I don't understand the material, but because of foolish mistakes in easy mathematics.

My thesis is done, and is being reviewed by my advisor. I have one class left next semester, and the other class I'm currently taking is good so far. It's just this one class. I can't make below a C, however, in any one class, and I can't have my GPA be below 3.0.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2009 #2
    Talk to the prof teaching this class and see if the exam will put you below a C range in the class and if you can still climb above C range, and talk to your academic adviser about the whole situation. He may suggest you drop the course (if possible) and retake next semester. He may also tell you that the grade puts you on academic probation and as long as you retake and get over a C, you're in the clear. A C may not drop your GPA below 3.0, that depends on your current GPA, other grades, and the number of credits you have. Policy varies from school to school, so find out yours.

You also need to relax, 'cause everybody messes up an exam once in a while. All the smartest, most successful people I now have gotten some pretty lousy grades, and that's just a part of life. And wait 'til your score comes back before having a meltdown.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook