1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master's Program ways to increase my chances of getting in?

Tags:
  1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    I'm a senior undergrad at the University of Michigan- Dearborn. I am a math major with a minor in applied statistics. Now that I'm near graduation (Fall 2013), I am considering my grad school options. I really want to get into the University Of Michigan's (Ann Arbor) Applied Statistics program for my Masters, but I am not sure how likely it is that I will be accepted. My GPA isn't very high, it's 3.5 and I haven't taken my GRE yet, but plan to take it soon.
    What are ways I can increase my chances of getting accepted? I've heard people talk about research, can I do that if my school doesn't have a Stats major (only a minor)?
    Also, what score should I aim for on the GRE?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

As high as you can. There are no prizes for being the last student admitted.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3

Physics_UG

Gold Member

Are you a Michigan resident? If so, your chance of admission is quite high. I got into Michigan's masters in EE program with a 3.45 and a very low GRE score.

5. Apr 9, 2013 #4
    Really? Yes, I am. I was reading information on their Applied Statistics program and was feeling very discouraged. Did you do any undergrad research?

6. Apr 9, 2013 #5

Physics_UG

Gold Member

I did do undergrad research. No publications though. I applied for the PhD program but only got into the MS program. I ended up going to a different school.

Stats might be more competitive than EE though.

7. Apr 9, 2013 #6

Physics_UG

Gold Member

Also, usually PhD programs are much more competitive than MS programs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook