Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Material Selection, material indexes

1. Jul 4, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I'm working in a design team for the first time and I'm in charge of choosing a material for an application. I have the constraints, support a tensile load of 50 kg , and the objective which is minimize the weight.
    I'm using the concept of material indexes to find the best material for the application:

upload_2017-7-4_12-35-55.png
    The equation that I want to minimize, regarding that the following constraint is maintained:

upload_2017-7-4_12-36-21.png

If we substitute A in the first equation we get:

upload_2017-7-4_12-36-38.png

The problem i have now understanding is that the method tells me that i should only carry in minimizing (density/ failure strength), if i find the material that in fact minimizes this, how do i now the first constraint:
    upload_2017-7-4_12-36-21.png

is maintained, in literature i'm recurring to they never check this, should i check this for the material i end up choosing , or is this step unnecessary ?

Thank you very much !!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2017 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The substitution you made eliminates the cross section area A. That clearly doesn't mean the part can have an arbitrary cross section area (eg A=0).

It's like solving two simultaneous equations involving x and y. You usually make a substitution that eliminates one variable and allows the other to be calculated. You then have to go back and find the other one.

4. Jul 5, 2017 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The fatigue and environmental specifications are usually most important. First identify suitable materials that are available, then design solutions that can be attached to the structure without attachment, fastener, fatigue or corrosion problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted