Material Selection, material indexes

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of material indexes to find the best material for an application, with the objective of minimizing weight and the constraint of supporting a tensile load of 50 kg. The substitution of A in the equation is necessary for finding the best material, but the method does not address how to ensure the constraint is maintained. The importance of considering fatigue and environmental specifications is also mentioned.
Thom_Silva
Hi,

I'm working in a design team for the first time and I'm in charge of choosing a material for an application. I have the constraints, support a tensile load of 50 kg , and the objective which is minimize the weight.
I'm using the concept of material indexes to find the best material for the application:

upload_2017-7-4_12-35-55.png

The equation that I want to minimize, regarding that the following constraint is maintained:

upload_2017-7-4_12-36-21.png

If we substitute A in the first equation we get:

upload_2017-7-4_12-36-38.png

The problem i have now understanding is that the method tells me that i should only carry in minimizing (density/ failure strength), if i find the material that in fact minimizes this, how do i now the first constraint:
upload_2017-7-4_12-36-21.png

is maintained, in literature I'm recurring to they never check this, should i check this for the material i end up choosing , or is this step unnecessary ?

Thank you very much !

Engineering news on Phys.org
The substitution you made eliminates the cross section area A. That clearly doesn't mean the part can have an arbitrary cross section area (eg A=0).

It's like solving two simultaneous equations involving x and y. You usually make a substitution that eliminates one variable and allows the other to be calculated. You then have to go back and find the other one.

Likes Thom_Silva
The fatigue and environmental specifications are usually most important. First identify suitable materials that are available, then design solutions that can be attached to the structure without attachment, fastener, fatigue or corrosion problems.

What is material selection?

Material selection is the process of choosing the most suitable material for a specific application or product based on its properties, performance requirements, and cost.

What are material indexes?

Material indexes are numerical values that provide a measure of a material's suitability for a particular application or purpose. They take into account various material properties such as strength, stiffness, density, and cost to help in the material selection process.

How are material indexes calculated?

Material indexes are calculated using mathematical equations that combine different material properties and performance requirements. These equations vary depending on the specific application or product being designed.

What are the most important factors to consider when selecting a material?

The most important factors to consider when selecting a material include its mechanical properties, chemical properties, thermal properties, cost, and availability. The material should also be able to meet the performance requirements and environmental conditions of the application.

How does material selection impact the overall design and cost of a product?

Material selection has a significant impact on the overall design and cost of a product. The choice of material affects the product's performance, weight, durability, and cost. Selecting the right material can lead to a more efficient and cost-effective design, while choosing the wrong material can result in product failure and increased costs.