Material durability and machinability info

• Thread starter Captain Slow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the procedure for checking the durability of a material is to look at how much wear it can take before it breaks, and the grading system is based on how resistant the material is to wear. The procedure for checking the machinability of a material is to try and make a prototype out of it. Can anyone point me in the right direction for researching these materials?
Captain Slow
Hi all,

I'm a first year mech eng student starting a mid-term assignment which is a report into the durability, machinability and cost of 3 different materials.

First off, I'm looking for a durability index for different materials; brass, aluminium and plastic (ABS)
What is the procedure for checking durability of a material and how does the grading work?

And where would I check machinability of these materials? Speaking to the lecturer and researching from different sources give different answers (unsure if they're stating opinion rather than fact)

Can anyone point me in the right direction?!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ah this is always fun (hard to find this sort of info easily). For a uni assignment and to be impressive, I would look up the relevant standards in your country. I almost typed out the Australian ones for you. These will list the chemical compisitions and types of each metal and give you an explanation of what each is used for and tell you if it's machinable etc. The cost, you will have to enquire about from your local material supplier. Sometimes they have a catalogue with prices, but they're hard to find. That'll get you a good mark if you quote the standards.

I am from Ireland so I take it I would be looking at british or european standards?
What exactly am I looking for with "relevant standards"? Any online searches I try for "material standards" link me to private websites.

I have been in contact with NPL.co.uk but am still awaiting a reply.

EDIT: Is this what I'm looking for (I know it's american but I'm looking blind!) http://www.onlinemetals.com/brassguide.cfm

Last edited:
Yeah, that is pretty much what you're after. However, it'd be better for your marks if you quote the standards. You could use the European standards, I'd just use the ISO standards if I was you. Your uni should have a subscription to "SAE global" where you can access the standards online. Usually you acess it through your library website, but depends how your uni does it.

Thanks for your help - you've given me a lot!

I'll ask the lecturers about SAE Global tomorrow.

1. What is the definition of material durability?

Material durability refers to the ability of a material to resist wear and tear, corrosion, and other forms of deterioration over time.

2. How is material durability measured?

Material durability is typically measured through various tests and experiments, such as tensile strength, hardness, and impact resistance tests. These tests can provide quantitative data on the material's ability to withstand different forms of stress and wear.

3. What factors affect material durability?

There are many factors that can affect material durability, including exposure to harsh environments, chemical reactions, physical stress, and the material's inherent properties. Additionally, the manufacturing process and quality control can also play a role in the durability of a material.

4. What is machinability and why is it important?

Machinability refers to the ease and efficiency with which a material can be machined or shaped into a desired form. It is an important factor to consider in the manufacturing process as it can affect the cost, time, and quality of the final product.

5. How is machinability determined?

Machinability is determined through various tests and evaluations, including cutting tests, surface finish tests, and tool wear tests. These tests can provide data on the material's ability to be machined at different speeds and with different tools, helping manufacturers to optimize their processes and achieve the desired results.