Materials for seals in clothes dryers

• Appliances
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, felt and foam seals used inside clothes dryers are made of the same materials, but they look different. There are many types of glues that can be used as high temperature glue, but silicone based adhesive is the best. The temperature in a dryer drum stays below 150°F and most say around 135°F is common.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Are the felt and foam seals used inside clothes dryers made of different materials than the felt and foam seals used for weather stripping? (They look the same.)
Are the felt and foam seals used inside clothes dryers made of different materials than the felt and foam seals used for weather stripping? They look the same.

Sites that sell replacement seals mention attaching them with "high temperature glue". Do any glues commonly sold in hardware stores qualify as high temperature glue?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are common glues referred to as "high temperature".
If you Google "high temperature glue", you will find many. For example, J-B Weld ExtremeHeat Adhesive. - good to 2400F. But it's not clear that you need this. Most organic glues are good to well over 400F.

A good silicone caulk/adhesive should be completely resistant to any heat encountered in a dryer. And with careful application might even itself serve as the seal, depends on the specific action of how the seal closes, it probably wouldn’t be good for a sliding contact. It should work for a contact like a door opening and closing. I would not use an organic glue and expect it to survive 400° for long. It might resist the heat for a while but it would probably degrade over a short time. Silicone based is the best, that’s why they make cookware out of it.

Last edited:
The temperature in a dryer drum seems to stay below 150°F. Looking at a few sites, 175°F was the hottest quoted, and most said around 135°F was common.
https://www.google.com/search?&q=temperature+of+clothes+dryer

Here is a datasheet for a Silicone Sealant that is good to 400°F: https://www.gesealants.com/getattachment/74d1a449-f17f-4803-b253-652923b898a5/attachment.aspx

A few weeks ago I was helping a neighbor with a bed bug problem and the dryers at the laundromat get the clothes to 130°F. (I've seen reports that 120°F for one minute is lethal for those monsters.) She ultimately gave up and called in the professionals.

Cheers,
Tom

1. What are the most common materials used for seals in clothes dryers?

The most common materials used for seals in clothes dryers are rubber, silicone, and foam. These materials are chosen for their durability and ability to withstand high temperatures.

2. How does the seal in a clothes dryer prevent heat and moisture from escaping?

The seal in a clothes dryer acts as a barrier between the drum and the surrounding air. It creates an airtight seal, preventing heat and moisture from escaping and keeping the dryer's internal temperature consistent.

3. Are there any eco-friendly materials used for seals in clothes dryers?

Yes, there are eco-friendly materials such as recycled rubber and silicone that can be used for seals in clothes dryers. These materials are more sustainable and have a lower impact on the environment.

4. How often should the seal in a clothes dryer be replaced?

The seal in a clothes dryer should be replaced every 2-3 years, or if it shows signs of wear and tear. This will ensure that the dryer continues to operate efficiently and prevent any potential leaks or damage.

5. Can I replace the seal in my clothes dryer myself?

It is recommended to have a professional replace the seal in your clothes dryer, as it requires specialized tools and knowledge. However, if you have experience with appliance repair, you may be able to replace the seal yourself by following the manufacturer's instructions.