Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Materials that bond with Calcium Fluoride?

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    Can anyone give me some insight into any materials/substances that might bond to calcium fluoride (CaF2)? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

What do you mean, 'bond to'? CaF2 is a quite stable compound. It's not going to form any additional bonds.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    sorry, that was probably a poor choice of words. I guess I mean, can CaF2 be coated with something that doesn't peel off under normal atmospheric conditions very easily?

5. Nov 10, 2009 #4
    You want to protect an apochromatic objective?

6. Nov 10, 2009 #5
    lightarrow,

yes, I'm looking for the adhesive properties of CaF2.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  7. Nov 14, 2009 #6
    The best I can think of is magnesium fluoride MgF2, but I don't know if you were thinking of something easy to do for an astronomer fan, in which case I wouldn't know.

8. Nov 14, 2009 #7
    Thanks lightarrow,

I read somewhere about mag-fluoride as well. Also,

I guess I meant adhesion properties.. (is adhesive the same thing?). I've been reading up on the science of interfaces between materials and came across some literature on mechanical interlocking interfaces, where the substrate material has "digs" or "voids" that get filled in with the coating material, thereby giving better adhesion. Not sure how those digs are made, or if it's done with CaF2, but it sounds interesting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook