1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Math and/or Physics degree while working fulltime ?

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    Do you think it is feasible to get a Math and/or Physics degree while working full time ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2
    I do think it is feasible, for the most part, but there are a number of factors that can alter how feasible it is. For example, what is your full-time work schedule like? Flexible, or rigid?

I think there will come a point, as you approach the final classes necessary to acquire the degree, that you will find classes that are offered at only one time, one section per semester.

That being said, I do believe it is possible. I am currently operating under that assumption. It is already difficult and I am still near the very beginning of required courses. I'm quite certain that it will only get harder. That being said, I'm enjoying the process as much as I hope to enjoy the destination.

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    I think I'd want to join a SAS team or do some data analysis which is possible to switch over where I work at the moment. I'd have to do some online/off campus type of study. Work is pretty flexible but not that flexible as to allow me ot physically go to classes. I just regret not doing a technical degree.

5. Sep 15, 2009 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Of course it's possible. But physics and math degrees usually require a tremendous amount of effort and time to complete. If you're putting in full time hours, it doesn't leave a lot of time in the week to devote to your studies - especially if you want to devote time to family or other interests.

If you're really interested, the best thing to do is start with a few courses as a part-time student. This will allow you to test the waters without giving up your job and current lifestyle. The disadvantage is that doing it this way takes more time.

6. Sep 15, 2009 #5
    Hi :)

I think it is possible.
    But for a course that would be for 4 years, perhaps you can only do it in 8...

Since I entered in the university, I always worked part-time. And it has been really difficult for me, because I also am a swimmer (low competition) and can't leave my ballroom dance classes. But I did it. It took a little more time than expected, but I did it.

But let aware you for this, the more time you take to do your course, the more practice and study you need to have so you can remember not the actual subject but also the basics from the firsts years ;)

good luck ,
    moon_sphinx

7. Sep 15, 2009 #6
    While finishing in four years and getting the marks and research necessary to build a grad application? No, I dont think so. (Of course there are always exceptions with exceptional students, and you could get the degree while not doing well enough to go to grad school)

I worked about 20 hrs a week my first two years, and about 8 hrs a week my last two years (not counting research). I should have worked less in the beginning and started research earlier.

8. Sep 15, 2009 #7
    I work full time (nights) and attend school full time for electrical engineering. I'm a Junior now with a 3.8 GPA.

Trade offs? I only sleep 4-5 hours a day during the week, and I spend all of Saturday (and at least 3-4 hours on Sunday) finishing homework/labs/projects.

Just realize that while school is in session, your life will essentially be work, school, sleep - and nothing else. But you always have winter break and summers. If you enjoy learning (as I do), it's not such a bad deal. You have to be able to manage your time extremely well, and have the sort of personal structure that thrives under constant pressure.

I also purchase my texts well ahead of time and get about 1/4 of the reading done to create a buffer. Get syllabi ahead of time and find out what you're in for. Do a little mental preparation to buffer the onslaught. I find that it's only towards the end of the school year that I start burning out a bit - and it's a struggle to keep up come late April/May.

My view is that it's good preparation for when I finish school, leave my night job, and go to the 9-5 life. When all I have is one job and I'm getting 6-7 hours a night rest I'll be that much better.

9. Sep 17, 2009 #8
    I work in project management and I am a junior I already have a degree so I don't think it would take 4 years.

I think I want to be a SAS/SQL or maybe even VBA developer or data analyst. I can't see why I could not transition to SAS as it is a procedural language.

I just have this vision of me bashing my head against the table at 11:30 at night trying to sovle a stupid problem.

lol... I regret not being wise when I was younger.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook