Math and Physics undergrad to EE Graduate school?

In summary: In theoretical EE, you would take courses like Mathematical Methods for Electrical and Computer Engineers and Probability and Mathematical Sciences for Engineers, while in experimental EE you would take courses like Digital System Design and Computer Integrated Manufacturing.Can you think of any other examples where a math/physics background would be beneficial?A math/physics background is beneficial for many areas of engineering. For example, a math/physics background can help to understand theoretical problems better, as well as to apply mathematics and physics concepts in practical ways. It can also help to design and analyze systems.
EbolaPox
Hi, I'm going to be entering my senior year of undergrad and I'm pursuing a math and physics degree. I've got a good, high GPA, and really enjoy all of the math classes I've been in. Physics, however (especially particle physics and classical mechanics) were not so enjoyable. With respect to math, I really enjoy the topics of functional analysis and operator theory, although I have a very limited knowledge of the subjects. If I were to go to grad school for math, it would only be in one of those subjects, or a closely related analysis topic.

However, I have recently become more interested in applied topics. I have had no applied math classes and no engineering, but I've been reading a book on signals and systems, and I really enjoy the topic. I also like the idea of doing work that will be helpful or actually tangible. I'm also quite interested in working in the defense industry.

So, what I'm curious about is, can a math/physics double major with a high GPA, some research experience in math, go to an engineering grad school for EE? I know I'd be behind everyone else because I don't have any of the undergrad classes, so I assume I would not be eligible for admissions. Should I instead apply to applied math programs?

I'm looking more for insight and suggestsions I think. The thing that's pushing me away from going into pure math grad school is I'm worried the research is too hard and beyond me. I love the topics and haven't had any trouble at all with undergrad work, but I don't know if I'm cut out to go for research. I do however love teaching , and that's one of the major reasons I wanted to get a math Ph.D. was so I could teach at something like liberal arts school and do a bit of research.

Sorry for this huge wall of text, I'm rather unsure of which direction to go and I'd love suggests ions from people that have gone in the engineering direction and the math direction. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematicians and physicist go into engineering all the time. In the more applied mathematics and applied physics sub-disciplines (e.g. signal processing, device physics), it is sometime actually helpful to have a mathematics/physics background.

If you do choose this route, I would suggest sitting down with a curriculum advisor before you start taking first-year classes to make sure you meet the prerequisite knowledge.

Can you take some electives in EE? A good blend of different areas would be useful -- it conveys an interest in electrical engineering plus most of the stuff is interconnected here.

Courses like Signals, Systems and Networks, a course on Electronic Circuits (even if you're into theoretical EE), and Control Systems will be nice options. You probably have an electronic circuits course under your belt already because of the physics degree. In that case, see if you can take something on Stochastic Processes or applied probability theory.

Are you interested in theoretical EE or experimental EE?

1. How does a Math and Physics undergraduate degree prepare me for EE graduate school?

A Math and Physics undergraduate degree provides a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical skills, which are essential for understanding advanced concepts in Electrical Engineering. These subjects also cover fundamental principles such as calculus, linear algebra, and mechanics, which are applicable to many areas of EE.

2. Can I apply to EE graduate school with a Math or Physics degree?

Yes, many EE graduate programs accept applicants with a background in Math or Physics. However, it is important to make sure that your coursework includes relevant topics in EE, such as circuit analysis, electromagnetism, and digital systems. Additionally, having research experience in these areas can strengthen your application.

3. Will I need to take additional courses to bridge the gap between Math/Physics and EE?

It depends on the specific graduate program and your undergraduate coursework. Some programs may require you to take prerequisite courses in EE, while others may offer bridge courses to help students transition from a Math/Physics background. It is important to research the requirements of the programs you are interested in.

4. Is it necessary to have programming experience for EE graduate school?

While not all EE programs require programming experience, it can be beneficial to have some knowledge in programming languages such as C++, Python, or MATLAB. These skills are often used in EE courses and research projects, and having prior experience can make it easier to understand and apply concepts.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of EE with a Math/Physics background?

Yes, many EE graduate programs offer specializations in areas such as control systems, communications, power systems, and more. Your Math/Physics background can provide a strong foundation for these areas, and you can also take elective courses to further specialize in a particular field. It is important to research the specializations offered by different programs to find the best fit for your interests.