1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math bachelors to MechE masters?

1. Jul 12, 2008 #1
    I've decided that I want to pursue mechanical (automotive) engineering as a career, but unfortunately my school (Emory) doesn't offer engineering. How educationally/vocationally feasible is it to major in math for undergrad, and then go onto a masters MechE program?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'd say it wasn't very feasible at all: whilst you may be able to learn some theory during your maths degree, you will have zero practical experience (which, i gather, is quite important for a mechanical engineer!) It would be way better for you to just go to a different university for undergrad so you can take mech eng.
  4. Jul 12, 2008 #3
    you'd be better off doing physics undergrad. Our mech program has a few people who did that
  5. Jul 12, 2008 #4
    Of course, that's not saying it's not possible. It's been done. You'll have a lot of catching up to do in graduate school. Physics is probably the better major for something like this.
  6. Jul 12, 2008 #5
    Transferring now would mean a total of at least 5 years spent on undergraduate education (I want to major in economics, too). We have a 3+2 program with Georgia Tech that gets me a liberal arts bachelors from Emory and an engineering bachelors from GT; however, that process takes a total of 5.5 years (it's actually 3+2.5). So I figure it would probably be more advantageous to end up with a masters in engineering after 6 (or maybe slightly more?) years, no?
  7. Jul 16, 2008 #6
    It is possible, but as others stated, it would be better for you to complete your undergrad in Physics. A coworker of mine completed his BA in Physics, then decided to go into Civil Engineering and completed a BS in it in just one year (there is a lot of overlap), and then went into Structural Engineering for his MS
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?